1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

standing close to amps....hearing yourself

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Mr Grady, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Mr Grady

Mr Grady

guys
    apologies if this has been posted before.

ive got 1x15 and 4x10 marshall cabs and a DBS head.

normally we play small pubs etc, which means we are crowded in and have to stand close to the amps and cabs.

ive had the usual dispute with our guitarist, asking him to turn down because he is so bloody loud, and its partly down to having a zone where he cant hear anything....see above.

one solution i was told was to swap positions, him in front of my amp, and me in front of his.

another possible solution....i have an output on my head marked "line out jack"..and to quote the manual, this is "for connection to home recording equipment"

can i use a jack to jack lead, and connect this to a small powered monitor i have and place this in front of me...or will this just add to more stage noise and more problems?
    again....if he has something similar on his amp, to do the same?

cheers

phil
  2. ggunn

ggunn

That sounds like a bad idea to me. Both of you will keep turning up to hear yourselves over the other.
  3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You're not going to get anywhere adding a bass monitor.

Very unlikely any lineout to monitor would sound any good for guitar.

The guitar amp is probably 100w tube 4x12?

How small of a pub are we talking?
  4. Mr Grady

Mr Grady

rough guess..we are in an area about 10 x 10 (feet) pub is about 35 feet long. it is L shaped and goes off to our right for about 50 feet...
  5. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

I'm assuming your head (EBS?) is up to the task, and that your speakers are in-phase. If your rig is loud enough, making it louder by adding another monitor isn't the answer.

Does the guitarist seem insane or deaf? (That is, if you stand where he stands, can *you* hear plenty of his amp?) If his hearing's okay, raise the guitarist's amp closer to his ears. He should hear himself better. He will probably turn down, too.

If he's being masked by other members of the band, bring stage volume down, work out arrangements (so instruments aren't crowding one another), or both.

Or maybe he's one of those guitarists whose idea of "hearing the guitar" is that it's 3x louder than everything else? If so, then either put him on in-ears (so he can listen to a guitar-heavy mix without screwing up the stage and house mixes), or else educate or replace him.
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I take it I guessed correctly on the guitar amp?

You have to get best part of 10ft away from one of those to be getting anything like a proper earful of shriek. It's not unknown to disconnect 3 of the 4 drivers and mic it, pulling half the power tubes and fudging the output tap to match. See the epic thread in band management "my guitarist plays too loud" for instructions.
  7. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

We run instruments in the monitors all the time but this is on large stages where we are spread out. Plus our stage volume is reasonable.

But for a small stage this usually isn't a viable solution. So I agree with Mr. derrico1. Keep the stage volume reasonable, drums and guitar are usually the worst offenders. Raise the guitar amp on a stand so that it's pointing at the guitar player's ears instead of the back of his knees. Something like this...

[​IMG]

or a "tilt back"...

[​IMG]

It's hard to hear how loud you are if your amp is on the floor right behind you and the sound is hitting your ankles.

Bass amp and cab stands are available too. Although if you're using a stack, and all of the speakers are in phase, it should be high enough for you to hear pretty well.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  8. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

+1
  9. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

if the venue is so small that you're practically standing on your amps - just turndown the overall volume until everyone can hear themselves.
  10. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

In the size venue you describe.....you are undoubtedly entirely too loud. Volume wars and speaker add ons will only get you one place- fired from the gig.
    At a venue of that size you and the guitarist could both EASILY play through combo amps. Even if youre playing metal.
  11. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Word.

I'm still guessing the guitard has 4x12, and I very much doubt he's going to put it on a stand or turn down.

Given the tiny venue size I would take only the 15 bass cab, put the guitar cab on top and take control of the volume.