1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Standing or sitting at a rock concert?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by blue4, Mar 6, 2014.

1. blue4

blue4

One of our local radio stations around here in St. Louis (96.3) is reporting that the Eagles have issued an edict saying that standing at one of their shows is now off limits. Which do you prefer, and do you think the Eagles are being unreasonable? Myself, I think I should be able to line dance for those prices. That being said, I'm usually a sitter.
    I'm also known to have a low regard for Frey and Henley so that could be coloring my view of things.

2. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Hahahahahahahaha, what!?

Now that is rock n' roll! :D

3. Marial

Marial Three Weeks of Freedom Start Right NOW Gold Supporting Member

**** the Eagles.

That said, I certainly don't mind being able to sit. I get museum feet quickly and I really don't like crowds. Standing in a sea of people isn't for me anymore.

4. MrTaff

MrTaff

People actually sit at a show? :confused:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. blue4

blue4

I like sitting in the lawn seats in one of those low chairs, listening and having a beer. Sea of people isn't for me anymore either.

7. SteveC

SteveC

I sit. I want to sit. I like to sit. I don't buy floor seats for that reason.

That said, I don't think the band can dictate what I do at a concert. Really. You are going to tell me to sit at your concert? Get over yourselves.

8. eddododo

eddododo

That's ridiculous... i don't stand usually either , but the eagles are not exactly an immersive artistic aural experience.. I.E. i don't understand why they think they're worth listening to minus the classic rock atmosphere...

9. electracoyote

electracoyote

And I think I should be able to see the show from a seated position for those prices. Please don't block my view. Thank you.

Yes. I'm a bizarre social misfit. I also sit at restaurants and movies. I should be institutionalized. :rollno:

I have stood for many concerts. I always did it on the floor, where there are often no chairs, literally everyone else was standing, and I wasn't blocking anyone else's view.

10. Immigrant

Immigrant

It's because of the aging of their fans. Younger people stand, block the view of the older fan that can't stand for hours, unhappy concert goer. The last concert I attended was Primus over three years ago and we had seats in the mezzanine/balcony. We luckily had no one in front of our seats, so I was able to sit through most of it, but I was definitely in the minority. My son stood through the entire concert.

Ah, to be young again. Many of the shows I attended in my yute were festival-style seating and I was able to stand mere feet away from the acts. The closest I got was Frampton while he was riding the "Frampton Live" wave, maybe less than 10 feet from Frampton. The only drawback was Gary Wright (opening act) had so much dry ice I could barely see them.

11. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Right, this. For every person in the audience who thinks "at these prices, I ought to be able to stand if I want to" there are a dozen others who think "at these prices, I ought to be able to sit and not have my view blocked by someone standing in front of me." So the no-standing prohibition means the vast majority of ticket buyers will be happy, and only a handful disgruntled, rather than the other way around.

12. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

When I think about it, I think I would prefer sitting down at an Eagles show too.

I'm not a horse, so I can't sleep while standing up.

13. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oh, NOW you want to tell them to get over themselves? Someone should have said that in 1977.

14. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Most shows I go to have the option of an area reserved for both. I almost always buy the "general admission" seats when available and often feel cheated when I'm stuck watching from the seats.

15. electracoyote

electracoyote

You can say whatever you like about Henley and Frey. Yep, they're a couple of pricks, which shouldn't be so hard to believe. Read Felder's book for confirmation.

But in a marketing sense, these guys are right up there with Simmons and Stanley. They haven't had a hit for decades, but they're still one of the biggest concert draws. They're not done milking the Eagles brand, and they're not going to let people who think they can line dance and pogo and rob other's enjoyment cost them ticket sales. They're going to sell every seat (and the floor will be equipped with rows of seats) and fill them with people who will sit there politely and enjoy the show.

Smart, smart, smart if you ask me.

Plus, let's consider the music for a minute. This ain't The Beach Boys with girls in bikini tops, beach balls flying all over the place, and "Fun Fun Fun". This is "Hotel California."

16. MrTaff

MrTaff

:rollno: Not really the same thing is it?

17. electracoyote

electracoyote

No analogy is perfect. It's a close enough comparison for me.

18. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

+1
    It's the Eagles, the ultimate geezer show.

It isn't like its a Black Flag or Motorhead show.

19. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Actually, movies seem like a reasonable parallel. I'd be pretty pissed if someone stood in front of me while I was sitting in a movie theater....

20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Were they talking about themselves, or the audience?

Oh wait...probably both.

21. blue4

blue4

I can see by your last couple of posts that you didn't like my line dancing comment. I assure you this was a joke you seem to be a little put off by it. I can see people wanting to stand and wanting to sit. Both sides are paying money and both just want to enjoy a show. I imagine the people who like to stand don't like to be nagged constantly to stop enjoying the show. And I know I don't like people who stand up in front of me when I'm paying for lawn seats. I have to say that I don't think that the Eagles are losing much ticket sales despite who's sitting or standing. Have you ever heard anyone say "I don't want to go to the Eagle show because I don't like standers?"