Stanford marching band ruins 2014 Rose Bowl for some people

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Richland123, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Richland123

Richland123

2. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

That link needs a vid.
  3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Ayuh. That's how they are. The Yale - PREcision - MARCHing - BAND! is the same way. Not going to bother pretending that they take walking in step so deadly seriously. Good for them, as far as I'm concerned!
  4. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I love it!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Marching bands are real serious business. Haven't any of you people seen Drumline? *lol*

[​IMG]
  7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

In 2000 I got to see Stanford play Wisconsin at the Rosebowl. We were in the first row at the 5 yard line sitting behind the Stanford band.

They were raucous and fun loving musicians. They ran wild during half-time, probably pissing off a bunch of people but they didn't care. Stanford will never get 125 people practicing year round marching the day away. They are who they are; smart people with an attitude. :cool:

We got a treat after they game. We hung out for awhile as all the other fans were leaving. Since Wisconsin has a tradition of the "fifth" quarter where the band plays a "private" concert for their fans around the goal line area on their side of the field, we were listening while we hung out. Not to be out done, the Stanford band played for us and a few others for about 30 minutes.

And a great time was had by all.:hyper:

PS. My daughter graduated from Stanford!

Fear the Cardinal
  8. Richland123

Richland123

Here you go

9. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Must be another piece of Americana that I just don't get.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Meh. Just some kids having fun. Let them go nuts. It's the closest thing to cool a marching band will ever be in my view (and I played tuba in one for a couple years). Asking for reverence around a football game is just dumb. I think it takes some nuts...... uh........ guts for the school and the department to let them have fun like that. They will have those memories forever. And other marching band members will be able to say "Hey, you guys remember that killer straight line we made with perfectly pressed uniforms at the Rose Bowl back in '13?" (Not so cool when you think about it.)

Let 'em have fun and quitcher ***chin.
  11. groooooove

groooooove

would everyone rather see a conventional marching band....? they're not the most fun to watch.

that's a band i'd love to play in, and i enjoyed watching.
  12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The Stanford band is famous for doing goofy stuff. Anyone who doesn't get it hasn't been paying attention.
  13. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

Talk about first world problems. Oy.
  14. jugglingfreak

jugglingfreak

A line from the original article sums it up perfectly:

"For the second straight year, people are mad that some college kids had fun."

I liked it.
  15. dieselbass

dieselbass

Yeah, some of the stuff people get angry about can be pretty amusing. My old music teacher in high school went to Stanford and played contra bass in the Santa Clara Vanguard so he had the best of both worlds.
  16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!

I'M WRITING A LETTER TO THE CHANCELLOR OF STANFORD RIGHT AFTER I EXTRACT THE PANTIES FROM MY @SS AND THE LARGE STICK THAT'S DEEPLY INSERTED!
  17. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Having never watched a rose bowl game in my life, I don't get it either. I had never heard anything about the Stanford marching band, so this is news to me.

Seems pretty damn silly for people to be getting so twisted off about some college kids screwing around.
  18. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum) Gold Supporting Member

Having played in marching bands, pep bands (Davidson in the Sweet 16 1968), and military matching bands....I freaking LOVED IT!!!!
  19. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

As a canadian, i never understood marching bands. People care? I had an american gf years ago (well i still have one now but a different one) that used to be in marching bands and i thought less of her for having been in one... especially when she was telling me about being disciplined for whatever reason i forgot (made to run laps) and actually going along with it. Whatever they play is not music to my ears. It's an approximation of music at best. It's like military bands.

Anyway, i can only get behind a marching band that makes people who care about marching bands upset...
  20. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Stanford band has been like that for many, many year. Good for them. I was in a college marching band that was very much the same kind of thing. It was fun, creative and entertaining. Kudos to Stanford and any other band that presents music in a fun and vital way.
  21. Riseinside1892

Riseinside1892

That was more enjoyable than watching them walk in a straight line. Why not have a little fun?