1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Stanley Banks

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassdog, Mar 15, 2013.

1. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    This guy played on a bunch of George Benson stuff. I just love his tone on This Masquerade and Breezin', among others. Anybody know what bass he plays and strings he uses. I have done a little looking around the net and see him play J bass alot.

Bob

2. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    While Stanley Banks was indeed a member of Benson's band and is credited on the Breezin' album, I'm 99.9% certain that the bass on the title track "Breezin' " was played by Phil Upchurch.

3. Sponsored by:

to hide this ad and more.
  4. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    "I'm 99.9% certain that the bass on the title track "Breezin' " was played by Phil Upchurch."

Well then I really dig his tone and playing.

Bob

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Breezin' was Upchurch.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Six To Four"...a very cool tune...Upchurch, also.

Check out "Full Compass" from Bad Benson. Upchurch on EB...another cool tune that serves as a bass etude.

Both written by Upchurch.

Bass Player (a few years ago) did an article/feature on Stanley Banks.

7. downtownwillie

downtownwillie

Aug 2, 2010
    Agreeded Phil played bass on the studio version, however, I'm sure there are plenty of examples of the great Stanley Banks playing that song on live dates. So, I love Phil and Stanley's tone on both versions.

8. Lubertha

Lubertha

Apr 28, 2014
    Stanley recorded on the Breezin album also.............He has been on tour with George for over 40 yrs. And has never missed a gig!! They are still going strong....

9. tightbidness

tightbidness Supporting Member

Reviving this thread for an under appreciated bassist. Check out this performance from 1988:

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Newport News, VA via NYC
    Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Hit up TB member pyrohr. He knows him personally. He may know or can ask him.

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Newport News, VA via NYC
    Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I just hit pyrohr up and he said

12. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    yeah i love his stuff with george benson. great bass player. cool to know he's a fender jazz guy :)

george benson's autobiography is out and is a fantastic read, mentions stanley a couple times and what a great bassist he is and loyal too (been with him since the 70's). highly recommend the book.