1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Stanley Banks

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassdog, Mar 15, 2013.

1. bassdog

bassdog

This guy played on a bunch of George Benson stuff. I just love his tone on This Masquerade and Breezin', among others. Anybody know what bass he plays and strings he uses. I have done a little looking around the net and see him play J bass alot.

Bob

2. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

While Stanley Banks was indeed a member of Benson's band and is credited on the Breezin' album, I'm 99.9% certain that the bass on the title track "Breezin' " was played by Phil Upchurch.

3. bassdog

bassdog

"I'm 99.9% certain that the bass on the title track "Breezin' " was played by Phil Upchurch."

Well then I really dig his tone and playing.

Bob

4. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

Breezin' was Upchurch.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimK

JimK

"Six To Four"...a very cool tune...Upchurch, also.

Check out "Full Compass" from Bad Benson. Upchurch on EB...another cool tune that serves as a bass etude.

Both written by Upchurch.

Bass Player (a few years ago) did an article/feature on Stanley Banks.

7. downtownwillie

downtownwillie

Agreeded Phil played bass on the studio version, however, I'm sure there are plenty of examples of the great Stanley Banks playing that song on live dates. So, I love Phil and Stanley's tone on both versions.

8. Lubertha

Lubertha

Stanley recorded on the Breezin album also.............He has been on tour with George for over 40 yrs. And has never missed a gig!! They are still going strong....