1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Stanley Clarke "Giant Softball" Speaker Cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by spottorf, Nov 19, 2007.

1. spottorf

spottorf

Here is a question that has been with me for years. During the '76 RTF Romantic Warrior Tour, Stanley Clarke was using what looked like a very large softball (sphere) suspended in a frame above a large round pan, as a speaker cabinet.

The sphere/cabinet looked like it was made of smooth, white painted fiberglass and appeared to have a number of 10" speakers around the outside. It also had a 15" or 18" on the bottom of the ball, firing down into the pan. Does anyone have information on this?
  2. chadds

chadds

I think it was called, "the Stanley Clarke Giant Softball Speaker Cabinet".
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    :D:D I was having a bad day but this post just made my day!!
  4. spottorf

spottorf

No really, that is what it looked like. I kid you not. Serious. I suppose I could go to Stanley's web site and ask. I have been there before, but then they start start sending me adverts for his new collection of CD's. But then, I would not have to suffer the ridicule that I find here ... :)
  5. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

I know exactly what you're talking about! I was playing in a large disco band around 1978. We had two of those speakers as part of our PA (in addition to large subs/horns/etc. ). I have no idea who the manufacturer was, but I do know that they sort of disappeared from the scene very quickly. I really don't recall any sonic advantages-I think they were just a bunch of hype. Like they say, if you remember the 70's, you weren't really there... :bag: :ninja: :D
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Oh, c'mon, the abuse is just getting started.:cool:

I saw a date on the '76 RTF tour. I remember the rig as being a triamped deal, and the part-spherical part was sort of similar to the Dead's Wall Of Sound's array of 5s. For some reason I'm thinking Stanley was a Kustom endorser at that time, but hey, it was the mid-70's!
  7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If it worked it wouldn't have been relegated to the dust bin of time. All you end up with from a sperical array is 3D comb filtering. :bawl:
  8. Passinwind

Agreed. The Wall Of Sound was highly overrated too IME.
  9. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

It was'nt to Phil Spector. :D
  10. Passinwind

Yeah, but look where that got him...:crying:
  11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

I really want to see this array y'all are talking about.
  12. Passinwind

I spent a while on Google looking for a picture. I'll put in a little more effort in a bit.
  13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

This one?

Attached Files:

14. Passinwind

Nah, that's really well known. The one is question has an array that's more hemispherical rather than part-cylindrical like that. I did hear the Wall Of Sound work really well once or twice -- I think! :p
  15. Want a 9

Want a 9

I found a picture in my "Guitar Handbook" of one of Stanley's rigs. It says he had a plexiglass dome loaded with 24 4-1/2inch speakers and two cabs loaded with single 15" speakers. But that is all that it shows. In front of the cabs is a Carl Thompson Piccolo bass and two Alembics.

I would post the picture I have, but I don't have a scanner. Sorry. Hope this helps.
  16. 62bass

62bass

I never trust anything that I remember from the 70s. :)
  17. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Lindsey Basses - maker of XBass cables
    ... not even with pictures! :p
  18. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I also saw that tour back in the day, and remember that stage rig. I assume that was Stanley's attempt to get his very treble oriented sound from a backline rig prior to the days of full range bass cabs with tweeters and crossovers.
  19. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nice!! That was good for a hardy laugh.
  20. jbuck

jbuck

I know who made those cabinets. They had 4 1/2 inch speakers in the dome. A genius named Mike Buyukas designed and built them. He also built those cabinets
    Want a 9 saw in the "Guitar Handbook." Mike is from my old home town and I have his speaker cabinets and they still sound better than anything else I've heard in 50 years! Mike got Al Di Meola his gig with Return to Forever and his wife sang on Al's first solo record. The specific 4 1/2" speakers were discontinued and Mike couldn't find adequate replacements. Mike was a brilliant designer but a lousy businessman. The company was called RM Sound. The Rolling Stones bought Mike's monitors after using them at Electric Lady Studios back in the 70's. They bought them right from the studio!