1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Stanley Clarke's vibrato

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by lovethegrowl, Dec 18, 2013.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

I am new here. I don't know if this is the place to ask
    But has anybody checked out Stanley Clarke's ferocious vibrato on his old alembic bass? Even while doing harmonics his vibrato could be so wide. Was it sheer strength? For me attempting to appropriate it is moot. I'm buying a Kahler tremolo bridge, but Clarke's vibrato technique seemed to defy reality.

2. Brother Goose

Brother Goose Fun with a k all day! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    (visitor from Planet Funktron)
    Alembic basses have an internal filter that creates a certain "tremolo" effect. Also realize that Stanley is a monster on upright and has gigantic hands and plays a short scale bass. There is a unique combination of physical, electronic, and skill factors at play in his sound.

3. Brother Goose

Brother Goose Fun with a k all day! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    (visitor from Planet Funktron)
    He also splits his signal chain into a fender tube amp. Having said all that- Stanley could probably walk into guitar center and work magic on a poorly setup ibanez. Emulating his playing got me fired from many bands!