1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

STAR TREK: The original series

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Mar 29, 2014.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I was gonna buy the DVD's but a friend suggested Netflix. It was easy.

Now I'm hooked. It's like watching Warner Brothers Cartoons.

Just going episode to episode on the I-pad. The wife always cranked when I'd watch it on TV anyway. :)

2. Milk

Milk

The only Star Trek i like along with the reboot.

These characters are timeless. Next generation only has Picard i can stand. Sure Kirk is a dick and Shatner is the worst actor in history, but that's part of the fun. the show might be cheesy seen from now but the core of a lot of the stories is still good. And the chracter interactions of course. With the reboot, same great characters (though not enough mccoy by a long shot which annoys me) but without the cheese of TOS.

3. OldDog52

OldDog52

They shot the show on 35mm film and someone has taken very good care of the source material over the years. They look great in HD even if it's the old TV 4:3 aspect ratio.

4. mbelue

mbelue

Yeah I was pretty impressed by the originals in HD. Great show.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassteban

bassteban

The ONLY Star Trek. Should be subtitled *Captain K gets laid- again* :)

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    It is a wonderful show, one of my favorites. :)

8. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

"Spock...I...must...have...that...green...alien....woman!"

9. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Every day I live with the fear that netflix will take Star Trek away from me. They have all five series plus many of the movies.

10. prd004

prd004

I have the DVDs!!!!! Loved this show since I was a kid. Hate all the other incarnations

11. madman4string

madman4string

Damnit Jim, I'm a bassist not a doctor!

12. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

+1. Amen brother!

13. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

I kinda like TNG even though it is also a cheesy piece of fluff. A potential gf introduced me to the series, had me over to watch episodes on VCR, loaned out vcr's to me and tried hitting on me. I totally rebuffed her advances and use her only to catch up with the series!

14. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    You should have just teleported into her place, grabbed the tapes and then radioed back to the mothership, "beam me up Scotty".

"Beam me up Scotty" would actually be pretty funny to say right after a romp with a girl like that. Or when she is in the bathroom - grab your clothes, hide and say it.:bassist:

15. prd004

prd004

Captain Kirk would have nailed her first.
    Just sayin' :)

16. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Good show.

My favorite Sci-Fi series:

Star Trek TOS
    Star Trek TNG
    Firefly
    and of course, my two TOP favorites:

Farscape
    Dr. Who

Keep in mind, I don't watch a lot of sci-fi

I never liked:
    Torchwood
    The X Files
    Babylon 5
    Stargate: Anything
    Battlestar Galactica

The movies I like best
    Star Wars
    Empire Strikes Back
    Some Star Trek movies (II, IV, one of the TNG, I forget which, and the reboots are OK)
    Let's not forget: GALAXY QUEST, and of course, THE LAST STARFIGHTER

17. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    Galaxy Quest did a great job of spoofing different Star Trek series, and some overall stuff, but it was at its best when it spoofed the original series.

Stuff like the ripped shirt, the alien crew member, the rock monster, the Shatner personality, and especially the reverse Scotty--where Scotty was excitable, Kwan was laid back and casual. (Just thought you should know)

The original series is my favorite--and the cheesiness is part of the charm.
    I also like the reboot series, they did a great job of casting the crew-especially Bones & Spock.

18. matante

matante

I'm the opposite. As a child I found the show extremely boring and would always change the channel when i saw it coming on. I didn't mind the movies though.

19. Ironbar

Ironbar

I would definitely have sex with a hot, green-skinned, Orion babe.

20. Milk

Milk

I thought Torchwood was good once i got used to all the sex. I like John Barrowman and Captain Jack (although when he first shown up on Dr Who i didnt)l It wasnt Dr Who and it wasnt nearly as good but it was good in its own right.

I tried BSG because everybody seemed to love it and i didnt get it....that show was terrible. none of the characters were likable and i didn't buy that somehow these people have developed independently of earth and yet they have all those things we do have on earth? The writing was just terribly weak. I wanted to like it but couldn't, i made it nearly to the end of the first season and then realised i didn't give a **** what happened to any of those people. And i cant stand Stargate either, cheap **** (ok...someone COULD say that of Dr Who but Dr who embraces the cheese, it always has, AND it has terrific writing and characters)

I think the only sci shows i've watched are Dr Who (my favorite show ever regardless of genres), Torchwood, Star Trek: TOS an X-files. Which was good in the 90s but hasn't aged that well. Though like everyone i thought the last few seasons were terrible. Id lost interest by then. and i never cared much for the aliens story arc. I prefer the standalone episodes.

21. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

It should read as: "Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a...oh, yeah, I'll get right on it!"

Funny thing is that McCoy never said "dammit, Jim..." during the run of Star Trek, TOS (because of "decency standards" of 1960s broadcast television). He started saying it, IIRC, around Star Trek II. McCoy did say "hell", though during TOS.