1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Starcaster Bass

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Patski, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Patski

Patski

Hey Justin,

I noticed that you were rocking out on one of the new Starcaster basses at a recent Beck show. Just wondering what your thoughts are on these and whether you consider it a keeper :)
  2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

It's a great thing. Thick, gnarly tone. Svelte, fun neck. Cheap, and well-made for the price. Cons: heavy! No neck dive of any consequence, but man it's a bit heavy.
  3. walldaja

walldaja

Agree with heavy, mine is 9.5 pounds. But it is an excellent instrument with large variations in sounds. Worth the weight.
  4. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

I got to play one of those yesterday. Man, you weren't BSing about the weight!
  5. Marihino

Marihino

Hi Justin, thanks for your opinion. Have you tried the new Coronado as well? I haven't yet, and I do like the looks of this one better, and am wondering whether it's as good.
  6. Patski

Patski

Thanks Justin, much appreciated. I've had GAS for a short scale hollow body for a long time, and this looks like it could scratch that itch. These sort of basses never get stocked in any of my local stores so i'm dependent on talk bass for opinions. I've given up looking for vintage basses and have my eye either on this one or the Starfire reissue.

The weight isn't an issue for me; my Jazz bass is about the same weight, and that's comfortable :)
  7. jmjbassplayer

Coronado is cool. I just don't think it sounds anything like my original Coronado.
  8. Patski

Patski

I'm curious how these compare with the new starfire reissue. It sounds like the starcaster might be a bit more versatile and has better build quality. But I've heard that the centre block and high mass bridge in the starcaster gives it more of a solid body tone. Are those fair statements?
  9. jmjbassplayer

I would definitely, definitely agree with all of that.