1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Starcaster jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassistwsp, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Bassistwsp

Bassistwsp

I've personally never played one but surely they can't be that bad. Does anyone know what they're made from and any info on how they sound?

2. trunkshope6

trunkshope6

well if its the squier ur speaking of, then im sure it would sound ok, forget about the starcaster part, and just think of it as a squier affinity jazz which is what it really is.They are probably the lowest quality compared to the vintage modified and cassic vibe basses, which kick a##

3. Batmensch

Batmensch

No it's not Squier, not even close. These are department store basses and guitars, made out of plywood. These are made for parents to buy for their kids, who know nothing about musical instruments but have heard the name "Fender". Absolute bottom of the barrel stuff, from what I've heard. You'd be better off getting an SX.

4. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

This is correct. They are/were sold in Target and Best Buy stores. It does say Starcaster on the headstock.
    I recently saw one in our local "$99 Guitars" (real store name).
    Looked nice from a distance hanging on the wall. Took it down to inspect it. It was a real awful bass. A big step below the Squier Affinity. Stay away at all costs..

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

I have a Starcaster Strat - honestly, it's not that bad. My mom snagged it for my at a garage sale for like $30 when I went to visit them in FL.

I brought it home and swapped the neck out for a maple Squier neck I had laying around. It's the guitar all my guitarist friends use when they come over...

I could see upgrading the PU's, but honestly, it plays great and sounds fine.

7. lunarpollen

lunarpollen

I have a Starcaster Strat that was given to me for free, it's crap with some electronics thrown in, built by trained monkeys, good for smashing at a gig at the end of your last number... The worst Squier is twice as good. The best Squier makes it seem the way a MIA Fender would make the worst Squier seem.

8. Bassistwsp

Bassistwsp

Cheers everyone that's been removed from the short list of basses I can afford...

9. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

It's a shame that Fender let the Starcaster name go into the gutter. The original Starcaster was a semi-hollow body guitar with a standard bolt-on Fender neck with a different headstock treatment, and the body was ES335 meets Jazz bass offset. Very nice guitars with original Fender Humbuckers a couple of generations ago. Here's what the original looked like in 1975:

Attached Files:

10. Bassistwsp

Bassistwsp

That's really quite sexy

11. Garrett151

Garrett151 Supporting Member

The killers guitarist uses a FENDER starcaster

12. droppedDmike

droppedDmike

That is my dream guitar. Jonny Greenwood uses one. So, so very nice.

13. hhirbe

hhirbe Supporting Member

Actually the indonesian made starcaster j bass is a decent entry level piece. Solid alder body, maple neck, plays and sounds pretty good. I've heard tell the chinese made version is a little less savory...

14. festaadams

festaadams

I have an Indonesian made starcaster jazz, and it is actually pretty nice. I like it alot. I posted some pics of it on here in another thread. Not at all like the guys are saying above. It's actually a really decent bass guitar. Would make an awesome starter or gigging bass.

15. gregstj114

gregstj114

I have an indonesian made Starcaster and I've been trying to find a black pickguard to put on it. I ordered one from GFS and it didn't come close to fitting :( Hey festaadams, where did you get the black pickguard for your Starcaster? A few days ago I emailed Pickguardian in hopes of them making me one.

16. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

To get a custom pickguard from Pickguardian, which this will be since the proportions are slightly off on purpose so it can't be passed off as any other model of Jazz bass, it will cost you again about as much as the bass is worth used. Save your $$.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Chris Walla of Death Cab for Cutie uses a Fender Starcaster as well. You can see it on youtube in some studio recordings.