1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Starfire string recommendation?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jbiscuti, Dec 3, 2013.

1. jbiscuti

jbiscuti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    My go-to strings are D'Addario Chromes. They're readily available, cheap, and sound fantastic after 3 gigs. They also hold their tuning & intonation for a very long time. I have a shoebox full of new & used ones. Love 'em.

I have a nice worn-in set of Chromes in my '67 Starfire I currently, but I don't like the feel. Not stiff enough, due to the short scale I reckon.

I'm looking for recommendations for a nice taut, fat, thumpy flatwound, especially for the E string. What's the answer here? LaBella? Pyramid?

Thanks!
  2. CnB77

CnB77

LaBellas would do it in my opinion!
  3. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

What gauge of chromes are you using on that bass? There is a significant difference in tension between the .045 and the .050 sets.
  4. Whit Townsend

Whit Townsend

Just ordered some LAbella 460FLs for mine(43-104). Cause I really like them on my P/J.
    Will report.
  5. jbiscuti

Disclosures:
    I am using the .105 on the low E, which I believe is the largest available for Chromes, right?
  6. Duckwater

Duckwater

7. jbiscuti

Disclosures:
  8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Starfire needs Medium Scale strings though. However my buddy has Long Scale JF344's on his starfire but they are more than flexible enough to go around the tuning post.

I currently have La Bella Black Nylon Tapewounds on my Starfire but will most likely be putting a set of JF324 on it soon, OR, Chromes, but I already have chromes on my Coronado II so want something different on the Starfire.