Starlight .. sorry, just looking for a suggestion.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eveilleu, Dec 23, 2013.

1. eveilleu

eveilleu Supporting Member

Hi,
    I've been playing bass for about a year now and my wife has started signing for a bit less. A few nights ago for ***** and gigles we started to mess arround with Starlight from muse. Now I know I don't have "The tone" and I will not go and buy a crazy expensive pedals. However, what I have now is not bad at all.

I was just wondering if I could get that big bass sound without an octave pedal. All I have is a Duality, B7K and an MXR compressor to play with. Don't get me wrong, what I end up with is super nice, but what I hear on the track is ... lower then what I get out of my fender jazz, no mater how I set things up.

My question is, can you get that note that sounds like a B .. but lower then my E string (7), without an octave pedal? I had a oc-3 a few weeks ago and sold it :) I think I might need to go and grab an oc-2 or mxr octave...

Suggestions? Can I get that note without a pedal?
  2. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

it sounds to me as if he mixed quite a bit of his clean signal for the tone, i will go with duality at the gated side, and cut the treble coming from the bass...

the song is in Bmaj... but i doubt chris using a 5 string on the record...
  3. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

I pretty sure he's using a boss oc2 and an animato for distortion, and it seems like he doubled with a clean bass track..? to answer your question, I don't know. If you got an octave pedal and used it with the duality you'd be set for that song...
  4. eveilleu

Thanks guys,
    That's pretty much what I was thinking. Duality + octave is what I'm looking for! I'll keep at it without an octave pedal for now while cutting the treble (good idea), I know it won't sound an octave lower but it sure is a good start! I'll see how the finances are after Christmas, somehow buying ipods for the kids and shoes for the wife is perfectly fine, but "ANOTHER PEDAL?!?" is not hehehe

Eric
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jweber76

jweber76

If I remember correctly, the bass player from muse splits his signal and plays one clean channel and one dirty channel with the octave/fuzz etc...
    That being said, the bass player from my wife's band cops a VERY convincing muse bass tone using just a Bass Big Muff PI and flashback delay running into my carvin R600 combo (they practice at my house so he plays through my amp but I have no reason to believe that he couldn't do it through his Marshall too) I've seen him do it with a couple different basses, epiphone Rivoli, one of my jazzes, but really sounds best with his SUB Ray 4.
  7. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Lolll

A few options:

The MXR BOD worked really well for me, but I ended up selling it because except for one song, I didn't use it at all (around 100-120 $ used). Very good analog octave pedal, also does a convincing Pino.

The Zoom MS60B offers quality digital effects, including octave, synth and pretty much all the regular effects, for around 110 $ new in our local shops. Haven't seen a used one yet in our area.

On a budget, the Digitech BassSynth Wah also has a lot to offer, including a very good octave mode. Around 50-60 $ used.

Joyeuses Fêtes !
  8. eveilleu

Merci! la mxr est 145 chez steeves :D

Joyeuses fêtes à toi!

9. eveilleu

Thanks.

Hummm... how much of a diffrence is spliting than just playing with a blend button? I'm not gonna split it now or anything, but just curious.
  10. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Niiiice... down from 189 $ jadis !

Merci :)
  11. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

You have to remember too, that live he does split with a boss ls2 but on his recording he recorded a completely clean track.. its pretty noticeable, live you can get by without blending clean in because of the nature of the sound IMO. Also all of this is a matter of interpretation, unless you want his exact tone... I love coming up with my own sound based of the original.
  12. eveilleu

Hi,
    I'm really not looking for "that" tone, just really looking to play something cool with my wife and son (he's learning it on guit). Just something that feels right. When I started playing it it Duality sounded great, but something didn't feel right, right notes, but either to high, or not "big" enough.

Having 2 bass tracks on it is cheating! nice catch, thanks!
  13. jking138

jking138

I would suggest the Zoom B3, got one a while ago and have nothing but good things to say about it. I'm a massive muse fan and although you can never copy Wolstenholm without significant financial backing, the B3 has all the effects in one tidy package for about £150. I've managed to get close enough to hysteria, citizen erased, hyper music and starlight tones to be able to play very satisfactory covers.
  14. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This guys seems to have only used a big muff and his jazz. Sounds pretty on to me. Maybe it wasn't just the muff, idk.

http://youtu.be/zbNIQckM22I
  15. jweber76

jweber76

Man, I love that muff!! The bassist I mentioned earlier has the flashback in his chain but I don't know if he has it on... Maybe just a tiny bit of delay to thicken it up? But it sounds pretty close to that video.
  16. eveilleu

Ha ha! Thanks man! This dude had this under his video:

"Published on Apr 21, 2013
    The fuzz is from an EHX Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi going into an MXR Bass Compressor and Guitar Rig."

I went and swapped my Duality and compressor, Now the compressor is after duality, but before B7K. Played a bit with the tone on the B7K Lowered treble, bumped the bass, went to the right side of duality with the filter at about 9. Big difference!

I love it now! And it is massive!

Thanks again all of you. Now to go and fix my fingers...
  17. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Pedal order is huge. Makes all the difference.
  18. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

I use a Russian Big Muff (Guttermouth modded: has bigger caps for more bass response), set my tone on my Jazz about midway and play with a light touch and its dead on