Starsun PGB100 VS Yama RBX170 - 2nd Hand Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cuniliguns, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Cuniliguns

Cuniliguns

Hello guys,

Since this is my first post, let me introduce myself, if you don't, just jump to TOPIC. I'm a student who about 2 years ago found out he likes to play the bass. It all started when a friend (Italian trompet player) of mine asked me " what's your favorite instrument ?". I've always been into music but never thought of discoreving this side of mine. Afterwards i've bought an semi-acoustic bass, a Jack and Danny ABG-1C.

I've been pretty happy with it, the product quality if very very good for the price (160€). I usually play at home and just recently joined a band. They like the sound of it (plugged in (Stagg 20 Amps) sounds as much as an electric bass) and since the two guitar players are also semi-acoustic, they love the looks.

TOPIC - Since this crisis affects us all, the lives of 2 friends of mine got them to sell their basses. I still have no feedback about the prices but that's not what i expect from your, precious, knowledge.

One of the basses, i think everyone knows it, it's the Yamaha RBX 170
    The other one is a Starsun PGB100

Both are black, have the same scale lenght and other specifications (agathis body i think), from my (noob) point of view the main difference are the pickups, the yama has passive and the starsun has active. I don't think that makes a big difference (prove me wrong :) ) Both are in good conditions, i would say the starsun (girl player) is in better condition but the other one is also in good shape.

What would i expect from your answers, a comparison between them in term of hardware and if possible, feedback from users who had one or the other.
    I'll probably take the 2 basses and sound test them side by side, however your knoledge of the hardware would be extremely valuable.

Thank you very much for your time and answers !

Cuni !

2. bill reed

bill reed

I have never seen a Starsun before but i do have a Yamaha RBX170 and had it for almost 4 years nd it a really well made and good all round bass.
    its my goto bass and you always know what your getting with Yamaha. Quality!!!

3. Cuniliguns

Cuniliguns

Thanks Bill ! Did you noticed any degradation after 4 years of use ? If so, in what components?

4. bill reed

bill reed

think it has go better with age, really good bass for the money, my most played bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

I've never heard of Starsun, but my buddy has a Yamaha RBX 170 and it's a nice playing bass. Fast neck and he has the action really low. He has had it for a few years and seems like it holds up pretty well, stays it tune too. I'm not crazy about the tone but the pups can easily be upgraded down the road. I've also found that passive basses are more reliable than active basses.

7. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Starsun looks exactly like I expected it to- generic Asian Ibanez knock off.

Buy the Yamaha- tried and true line of basses.

8. Cuniliguns

Cuniliguns

Thank you all for the replies :)

So no one ever stands up for Sunstar on talkbass ? :D

9. Meddle

Meddle

I would say a new amp is as important. My main amp at the moment is £90 worth of Torque T100BX. Like you, I had the 20 watt Stagg amp for a while (sold it to a hipster buddy who took a fancy to it). The Torque is not a good amp, but suits my needs well.

10. Cuniliguns

Cuniliguns

I'm still not professional enough to know if an amp suits me well or not ... I just started (2 months ) to play with some friend in a 10 by 10 meter (100^2 meters) room (not much wall shielding) and the amp seems to fill it up .... Thanks for the offtopic sugestion :)

11. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Media:
    You can't go wrong with an RBX 170, it really is a very nice bass. Good quality, plays well, nice feel. I would seriously doubt that 4 years would have much of a detrimental effect, if any

12. bill reed

bill reed

after 4 years my RBX170 still looks like new. still plays really well. the pic i posted of it is only about 5 months old and just after i added a thum rest and ashtray cover to the bridge, I think it looks good for a bass that getting closer to 5 years old.

13. Cuniliguns

Cuniliguns

Well,

From all your answers, no doubt i'm 70% leaned for the Yamaha, so much people supporting it.

Thanks for all your precious feedback : )

UPDATE - My friend just sent me the pics of his Yama, i would like you to take a look at it and tell me your opinion. He is asking 140€ (minimum) maybe 150€ (roughly 200$) for it, it has 2 years and some rust on the pickups. Tell me what you think guys.

Here is the picture gallery

I think the rust comes from him leaving the bass on the stand all winter....he lives near a river and maybe the humidity gets into it easily without the bag to protect it.

Again, thank you all for your time and knowledge

14. truebenjaman

truebenjaman

I have a fairly old RBX170 (more than 10 years), so I might be able to answer some questions:

Quality wise, the Bass got its strength where it counts: Great neck, well finished frets, can be setup well.

Don't worry about the rust on the pickups. That's normal.

Weaknesses are:
    - Tuning machines! I had to replace the A or D (don't remember) when I got it (used) and now the E became sloppy. I recently replaced them all with Gotoh 707s - Night and Day.
    - Pickups. They sound OK, but are nothing special. That is almost a strength though, since when I got good enough to notice the difference, I swapped them for quality pups and had a new Bass. I swapped electronics, the plastic knobs and the input jack then, too.

The price of 150€ is a little too high IMHO. You can get them for like 190 new. I got mine from a friend for 150 INCLUDING a Hartke B90 Combo. That was a cool friend though ;) Check e-bay. They turn up all the time and go for very little. But then again, since it's your friend, and he is in financial trouble, I personally wouldn't mind paying a little extra.

15. Cuniliguns

Cuniliguns

And I'm back....So i've bought the Yamaha, i've done some gigs and a lot of practice and to be honest i've never thought again of the starsun. A true bass, everyone loves the sound, when i turn down the tone and up the bass pickup...man it gets groovy....

Anyway,

Quite recently i've just had this idea about changing the pickups, TruebenJaman, how much did you spent in changing them for a new set ?
    It terms of € and hours of work, is it worth it ?
    If i want to explore the universe of pickups, what should i look for, what should i avoid? I have no idea about pickups and would like a little heads-up about'em.

Again, thanks for your time everyone :)
    Your thoughts were really helpfull to determine my choice, specially bill_read.