1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Start New Job On Monday

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by XXL, Feb 2, 2014.

1. XXL

XXL Custom User Title Supporting Member

Well I'm starting a new job/career on Monday doing pre-wiring for security systems for commercial buildings. I have no experience in this but was told I will be trained. I got a list of tools and safety items to get which I have.. Ive tried looking up some guides and things to get a bit of a headstart on the lingo and equipment to use, but all I can find are books to buy or for DIY home installing. Can anyone with experience and or knowledge in this field help me out with some guides, hints, links, anything. Id just like to be on top of everything come Monday morning.

2. Gazman

Gazman

Hi,
    I used to do security system installations, but things will be different in your area.

I assume there will be someone who will show you the ropes, listen to what they say and ask if you are unsure. Nothing worse than having to undo hours of work and start over because you were afraid to ask.

Make certain the cables are marked at each end, and not just at the very end, but a foot or so from the end in case they get cut off.

Work around the other trades and respect their work.

Be careful working on ladders, and take care of your hands!

Good luck

3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Can't help you with any specifics, but good luck!

4. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

Congratulations! The security field is actually pretty good to get into as it is licensed and regulated in most states. I worked closely with Security Alarm companies a few times while I was doing voice and data networking in Texas.

Your profile says that you are located in California, so you might want to read up on CA's licensing requirements that you will want to understand: http://www.bsis.ca.gov/industries_regulated/alarm.shtml

Also, EIA/TIA-862 covers Structured Cabling for Building Control Systems which covers Security and Access Control - here's an article that covers the basics of it and will lead to more linking and Googling on your part: http://www.mohawk-cable.com/support/ansi-tia-eia-862.html . Keep in mind that this is "big picture" stuff that probably won't make much sense to you right now, but will be useful later on.

As for hints, tips, and tricks...every install is going to be different so learn from the guys who have been doing it for a while, don't be afraid to ask questions if you are unsure of your tasks, and don't be a butt-head.

Other than that, have fun! I liked doing Telecom in the construction field and may be returning to it here in Seattle. Security is actually easier, labor-wise; it pays better, and once you are licensed you can negotiate more money :)

Peace,
    Greg

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

All the best with your new gig!

7. XXL

XXL Custom User Title Supporting Member

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the support. Thanks for the links kanonfodr and for the advice Gazman looking forward to hopefully making this a career.

8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Before you get too excited about references, why not wait a while and let your trainer(s) lead you to what you need?

I say this because it is so much easier to learn something right the first time than it is to unlearn and relearn.

Either way congrats on your new job. These days good jobs are rare, hopefully yours will lead to a decent job that can earn you a decent living.

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    All the best. Stay safe!