Started refurbishing my old bass.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Egg, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Egg

Egg

Hey everyone.
    I decided I wanted to build my own bass, (not cutting out the body from wood etc.,) but from bought parts, then assembling it.

(Sorry if this isn't the right place for this post.)

Anyway. I had an old body lying around off a bass I stripped for its neck [​IMG]

Paint stripper didn't seem to be working all that well on getting the finish off the bass. [​IMG]

So I decided to break out the big guns and use a rotary sander, with a coarse sand paper disc attached. That took it off no bother.
    After taking the finish off, I got a smooth finish on the wood with different sandpapers and a detail sander.
    I then decided to stain it a rosewood colour, and give it a few coats of that. Then used some sand paper to age it a little. I think it came out ok. [​IMG]

after that I screwed on my white pickgaurd [​IMG]

But it didn't seem gunky enough, so I scratched it up and gave it a touch with some black spray paint [​IMG]

and that's how it sits now.
    Im hoping to go fretless, with a maple neck, perhaps i'll change the pickgaurd.

Apologies for the low quality photos up until the last one-my camera wouldn't work.

So, Please let me know what you guys think, any feedback, advice or letting me know if i screwed something up would be nice,
    Cheers. :)
  2. vdub75

vdub75

body looks cool. pickguard is butt ugly and looks darn cheap with the paint on it... get s black one and scratch the **** out of it i'd say
  3. braud357

braud357

I think that it looked better BEFORE you started !
  4. ejmy

ejmy

The perception of beauty is subjective.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

What you call a rotary sander, is what I call an angle grinder, and it should never be used to strip a guitars finish. You need to spend a lot more time with a flat block and some 80 grit to get that body level again.
  7. hover

hover

The name for that around here is "ruined". Nice...."work".
  8. ejmy

ejmy

Looks like a Holloween prop.
  9. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

I{ll be honest with you, that looks horrendous.
    I{m sorry if I{m being blunt, but just an honest opinion.
    Spend some time reading luthiers corner, you can learn a lot, I know since I{ve joined, I{ve been reading up and have learned a ton of priceless information just from looking at threads and asking questions.
    Don{t be discouraged though, take it as a learning experience, I{m sure some of the experienced luthiers here could give you some great tips.
  10. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    Well, I'll throw this in here.. I think that the body does not look that bad, although a lighter shade might have been better, imo.

Also, that pickguard does nothing but wrong all over that body. Sandit back to white, paint it one color overall, get a new one... But get that thing off of there immediately.

Then we can talk about a proper fix for what's there. Really not that far off, imo. But that pickguard HAS to go. Again, imho.
  11. Egg

Egg

Well. Severe apologies to all those I offended by ****ing it up.
    Yes I agree. The pickgaurd is going to go don't worry.

But I like the body. It's my favourite colour. I know I may have screwed it up a little. But it cost me literally 30 pounds. I just decided to do something with it to kill time.
    So in order to remedy the situation. Any advice on what to do now?
  12. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Are you kidding me? Change nothing! As it sits you have a one-off piece of art. If I saw that bass on stage I would say: "Good God - Yes!"

Now slap a P bass neck on there and get rockin'
  13. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Get some 80 grit sticky back sand paper and a hard sanding block, and sand it until it is completely level. The stain you have on it now is a good indicator, when you get it all the way to bare wood with the sanding block and there is no stain left you have it level. Its a lot of work, but its the only way to do it correctly, unless you know someone with a drum sander.
  14. Egg

Egg

I'll get started on that over the weekend, Thanks very much for the advice :)

Pickgaurd is off. (I think it annoyed a few of you. just a tad) [​IMG]
    Buying a new one today. What colour/style do you think would be acceptable?
    Want to get another opinion before I wind up getting a terrible one,

Cheers.
  15. Bassgeer

Bassgeer Supporting Member

White pearloid might look pretty good actually! Just not tort. Not on this bass.
  16. hover

hover

It's of no consequence to any of us what you decide to do with your bass. You put it out there, don't be so surprised if all feedback isn't positive. Not the end of the world, nor are we your tastemakers, so do what makes you happy with it, and rock it proud. personally, I think the slightly quilty brown thing you have going on is kinda cool but the pickguard was just awful. If it were me, go with a black pickguard...I have a spare if you are interested.
  17. suraj

suraj

In a strange way, I think the bass looks kinda cool as is :p
  18. Turtle71

Turtle71 Supporting Member

I think it's actually kinda cool...:ninja:

I'd throw a parchment guard (or maybe a white pearloid) and rock the $h*t outta that thing! :bassist:
  19. Beej

Beej

I like it too, perfect for punk, pickguard and all. I'd put the same guard with some dice knobs and a side mount jack, rosewood fretted neck and boom...
  20. tonybassman

tonybassman

Holy buckets with the grinder!!! :eek:

If you are just having fun with it and being cheap, clean the paint off of the old pick guard and use it for experimenting. Paint it and see what color you like before spending money.
  21. huckleberry1

huckleberry1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    student
    ;)you guys have all been had obviously, it takes a sick individual to see through this & I guess I'm at your service.