1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Starter Bass Recommendations for a Girl - Short and Long Scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ggvicviper, Dec 3, 2012.

1. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

A guy at my company wanted me to recommend him some lower end basses that are decent for his daughter to try (who played bass at some music camp and loved it), and his price range was $250-350 new. I wanted to recommend him a few basses, both in the short-scale and long-scale realm.

I already suggested the Yamaha RBX-375 and the Squier VM 70's Jazz in long-scale. We're looking for only new instruments. Nothing used - this guy isn't a bass player (he's a cellist) and doesn't really know what to look for in a bass, so used would be out.

What are your suggestions? :)
  2. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

3. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Höfner Icon/Ignition (either Beatle bass or Club bass styles)
    Squier Mustang Bass (not the Mikey Way one though)

Both are short scales.

Long scale basses--pretty much everything someone would recommend in a "which bass is best for less than x dollars" thread.
  4. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars
    Believe it or not a standard Brubaker Brute 4 banger with either JJ ot J/MM pickup config. I know of two high profile female bassists who use them. The neck will fit in your hands nicely. you may be able to picup a really nice used for the money.
  5. Raymeous

Raymeous

The Squiers are pretty nice as beginner basses go.

Even though I have a very nice custom shop, I still noodle around on my Squier P-bass special. Slim neck for less hand and wrist fatigue, smaller P body (mines thinner than a USA P), plus with both P and J pickups you get good tonal versatility in a classic package. I'm not sure if they're still making them or not.

A Squier Jazz is a good option as it is an affordable version of an industry standard. I think the slimmer neck would be beneficial as well.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GSR200PW/

If she's still small the Jags might be a good option. Shorter scale plus smaller bodies for more playing comfort. It all depends on if his daughter is still a small "child" or "teen/young adult". The only real downside to the shortscale, again depending on how petite she is, is that it may be weird for her when it comes time to grow into an adult bass later on.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JagBsVMSSCar/

For something a little more up to date the Ibanez line is a good choice as well. The Soundgear series has small bodies and the slimmest necks on the market while still having a fairly comprehensive electronics package.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GSR200PW/

Hmm just found this Toby that would be a nice modern option.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EBD4WLSBH/

In either case I wish her the best with her new love. :hyper:
  6. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

That is $250-350 new? Looks like it's over $600.
  7. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

several Schecters fall into that price point. with the new year coming soon watch for clearance items.
    Peavey also has a couple of models that are in that range with both an active and a passive as options
  8. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

^ Best recommendation so far. I toss one in for the Squier Mustang (non-Mikey Way) bass, too just because of the Maple fretboard.
  9. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

Squier Jag SS, but I'm biased.
  10. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Squier Jaguar SS... I'm buying one for my 12-year old.
  11. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

The Squier Matt Freeman P bass has always looked good to me. It and the other Squier CV models are $4.99 over his budget though. I also like the looks of the new Squier VM Telecaster basses which are neither long nor short scale but medium scale. The Ibanez SR300s are nice too. Be sure and tell him he has the option of tuning her bass CGDA an octave below his cello, especially if he plans to be her teacher....

Ken
  12. R Upsomegrub

R Upsomegrub

Weight could be an issue, look for something light. I bought my daughter an Ibanez - not sure of the model number, but it's simple with only a passive P pup. It has a smaller body and weighed right at 8 lbs.
  13. Synthax

Synthax

14. deltax

deltax

I'd say get either the Yamaha RBX170 or the Squier Jaguar SS(both around $180) and use the rest to get her an amp.
  15. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

You really can't go wrong with the Jag SS.
  16. psp742

psp742

Washburn XB400 - buy used price range from $120-$200 they are very nice active jazz bass... the necks are slim and easy to play almost similar thickness to a regular electric guitar.
  17. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    Dean Hillsboro, under 300 and good feel, sound and fast easy to play neck....just a thought...
  18. BGF

BGF

The Squier Jaguar short scale bass is great and it's less than $200. :hyper:
    Plus it's super easy to upgrade with tons of parts available for it.
  19. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

For a great short scale starter, check out the Ibanez GSRM (GSR Mikro) series. Affordable, decent quality, and perfect size from a well known brand. And the GSRM20 even comes in PURPLE

:D:D:D

http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-GSRM20
  20. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I gotta throw in for the Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass SS. I got to feel the weight of one a couple of months ago. The Jaguar body plus the shorter scale make for a very lightweight bass, a plus for a young-un just starting out.

On a note of personal preference, being a fan of the Precision/Jazz configuration (and it's inherent variety of sound & tone) also makes me recommend it. See if they can look at one up-close-and-personal to make sure it's a good fit and feel, not to mention seeing if it's in proper working order.