1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Starting a club?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pills Are Yummy, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Hi,

I'm not sure what category to put this in, but are TB clubs a hassle/pain in the @$$ to start/manage?

2. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

3. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

4. oniman7

oniman7

Try PM'ing somebody who runs one that has a lot of members and get their perspective

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

Not bad just keep a roster and update online roster every week or so. Also i find asking for a pic to get a number cuts down on just anyone asking.

7. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I took over the 5-String after 2 others. I began by using Excel and going through each post by post to make sure the numbers were in order.

Of course, I found instances where duplicate numbers were given to different individuals. I also saw instances where one TB member had 2 numbers assigned. Before issuing new numbers, I went over the list & corrected the duplicate numbers.

Now I just maintain the spreadsheet to make sure a requestor doesn't already have a number.

I also started 2 other clubs which I also maintain the same method: the Ashbory Club and the Bassfish by Goldfish Guitars Club.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/5-string-club-part-2-a-761369/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/ashbory-guild-dearmond-fender-club-755854/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/bassfish-goldfish-guitars-club-724255/

8. sobie18

sobie18

I heard the membership dues (when collected) can add up pretty significantly.

9. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    Do you need moderator's permission to start a club, or can you just start one?

10. MrChrizmo

MrChrizmo

I'd really like to know all this too.

The managing part of the club I think I can manage (big words probably) but can you just open a thread, call it club and it is done ?

Also, what's the policy on bumping it etc.

11. dalahorse

dalahorse

That's what I did for my drummers who became bassists club. Just start a thread and keep a roster. Open it up for discussion for topics relevant to the overall club theme.

By the way - if you're a bassist who started on drums, join my club! :)

12. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

LOL! Yes, but I think they're tax deductible as professional fees. Haha.

13. CalboDaGo

CalboDaGo Banned

what are the purpose of talkbass clubs? seems like a form of segregation.

14. dalahorse

dalahorse

It's a way to identify your own interests and way of going about things. If you rock a 5 string, P bass, or certain brand of solid state or tube amplifier, there's probably a club to join for each. Folks will often pop in with questions that the club may be able to help with. "What gauge flatwound B string for my 35 inch scale [brand] [model]," "help me choose a replacement neck for my [year] [brand] P," or "what are your experiences with [brand] preamp tubes in the [brand] [model] amp" are good examples that would match the type of clubs I mentioned. Folks with similar interests, gear, etc. will have lots of thoughts and experience on the subject. Plus it's nice to see other bassists' photos of their implementations of their gear, etc.

15. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    How is starting a thread that EVERYBODY has access to segregation?

16. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Just for fun.

17. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Clubs are a nice spot to share or obtained focused experience. But I completely fail to understand the silliness about "getting a number."

18. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

I currently "manage" the SBMM club/thread and another advantage of a club thread is it gives manufacturers one place to go for checking what the "buzz" is on their product and asking for feedback (when appropriate).

In the SBMM club/thread, the VP of Marketing drops in occasionally. I've seen other threads where factory reps stop by too.......I've seen this in the Markbass, Ampeg and Fender clubs/threads.

19. oniman7

oniman7

Don't forget Warwick, Tech 21, Darkglass, and Fodera. Just off the top of my head

20. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    That actually sounds pretty awesome! It'd be great to have a place where all questions and experiences regarding our pedals could be shared!

21. sobie18

sobie18

Also, some of these clubs have a dress code, facial hair requirement, and a few other nit-noid things and stuff. Maintain high standards...