Starting a Paypal dispute, how long do you wait?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by levis76, Mar 24, 2014.

1. levis76

levis76

Wondering how many folks here have had to file a dispute with Paypal, particularly those pertaining to items purchased from overseas (Hong Kong) that never arrived?

How long do you wait before starting the process?

For me, it's one month. I sent payment for a pedal on 2/25 and I was told it was shipped just a couple days later, via Hong Kong postal service. The guy says his 'partner' sent it and 'forgot' to purchase tracking for it. I suppose it could be held up in customs or possibly lost, either way, I draw the line at a month, especially when there has been no communication in the last 2 weeks.

I know, you never know what is happening in another person's life. Being from China, maybe the guy has some missing peeps that were on the plane that went down or worse, maybe he was on it, or maybe life threw him some other curve ball that prevents him from being able to get back to me, but the fact is, the pedal was supposedly shipped several weeks ago and without tracking info there is no way to know where it is or if it was even shipped at all.

I would rather be proven as being impatient and the pedal miraculously shows up in tomorrow's mail, but I've been telling myself that for 2 weeks now and I'm tired of being disappointed.
  2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I've ordered random odds and ends from China via eBay. I've had things take a couple of weeks, and I had one or two items that took over two months to arrive - tracking did show it in transit the entire time and what not, so they didn't lie about it, it just took forever.
    I'd give them til day 44, then initiate the dispute. I think you then have some days to escalate it to a claim.
  3. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    NOW! you have 45 days from time of purchase to file or you lose all recourse.
  4. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    If it shows up you can always cancel it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

depends on how much faith you have in the seller... as long as you file before the deadline you are ok....i recently bought some gear from a us seller and it was in canuckistanian customs for near 3 weeks....but as the u.s. seller has an excellent reputation i was not worried,and it turned up unopened by customs........(shout out to edwardg,from maryland,excellent guy to deal with)btw....if it was me i'd tell the seller that it has not turned up and that you will have to file a paypal claim to avoid missing the deadline ....if it arrives you can always cancel the claim
  7. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

I once bought a nokia razr from hong kong. took 60 days to get here. another time i bought ties for my wedding from hong kong and they came in 4 days.
  8. levis76

levis76

Well I filed the dispute earlier today, and if it does show up I will of course cancel the dispute. I am still hopeful that it will show up, and I am trying to keep faith in my fellow TB member. We have the same amount of feedback, he does have a single negative, but after viewing it and the neutral feedback he left the other person (not a retaliatory negative), the guy was angry that communication was slow and he didn't get a tracking number. No word if it actually showed up. I contacted a few others that had bought items from this guy recently and they got tracking info and a few had bought items after I did and have already rx'd them. Those were strings and a strap though, not a small package containing a small metal box with knobs and a big switch. Hopefully when customs and homeland security are done playing with it, they will forward it on to me. I mean, it's been in my sig for a month now and I haven't even touched it yet.

Where's my pedal?!!

Short sad story, I was working close to home today so I brought some lunch home for the wife and kids. I was pulling up to the driveway and I could see the wife walking to the house with mail and she had a small box in her hand. Could it be? I couldn't think of what else it could be, we hadn't ordered anything that I could remember, except for my pedal. YAY!

It was my wife's contacts from 1-800-Contacts. Dammit.
  9. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Most of those Hong Kong and mainland China auctions Stste 45 days shipping imo
  10. levis76

levis76

Yeah, the same amount of time you have to file a dispute on Paypal. Hmmm, coincidence?

Well I still haven't heard from the guy thru email, TB, or Paypal. He hasn't even logged onto TB since 3/10, at least not with that profile.

I have till mid April to advance it to a claim, but I'm not going to wait that long. If it isn't here or I haven't heard from the guy at least by the 1st, I'm going to file a claim.

If I get a refund and it ends up showing up, I'll resend the money to the guy. I'm not looking to rip the guy off, I just really want the pedal.
  11. Handyman

Handyman

I'm purchased some items from EBay located in China. I've never seen such a long shipping quote, nor had items take that long to arrive.

Were I to see a seller who lists the shipping time being the same as the PayPal dispute window, I'd avoid said seller like the plague.

To the OP: Paypal disputes usually involve a week or two after the dispute is opened where they buyer and seller are supposed to work things out themselves. Paypal won't issue any refunds or take any actions themselves during this period. If the item hasn't arrived by then, I think you're perfectly justified in thinking that you've been taken.
  12. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

I've spent way too much (probably more than the whole instrument is worth) trying to find replacement tuners for a mandolin. Turns out the unnamed cheap thing uses none of the spacings currently considered 'standard.' So my set from Stew-Mac didn't fit. Bought a set from China - they fit but the retaining screws are in the wrong place. Arrived pretty quick tho.

(Yes, I'm getting to the point...)

Found exactly one other place offering tuners in the spacing I need. Little shop in Nottinghamshire, UK. PayPal via EBay. Quick enough the package is reported shipped. When it hadn't arrived in -4- weeks I sent an inquiry to the seller via EBay which automatically (as in - I didn't ask for this to happen...) opened a Case File. The guy said 'stuff can take a long time, and tracking is too expensive, so just wait.' 2 more weeks elapse and it's almost time for the Case to turn itself into a dispute. I inquire again - "6 weeks now - still nothing."

That very day, my package shows up in the mail, bearing the postmark (airmail, no less...) of the very day the guy said he'd posted it.

So OKfine - close the case file, leave appropriate positive feedback (postal service quality not the seller's fault...) and done.

-6- weeks from UK to Philadelphia via airmail. Maybe it went the long way 'round...
  13. levis76

levis76

Yeah, I'm remaining positive that it will show up, but at the same time I am very cautious about getting ripped off. $200 is not an amount I am willing to just write off.
  14. levis76

levis76

Well, still no pedal and still no word from the seller. I advanced it to the next step with Paypal and filed a claim for not having received the item. Seller still has not responded in any way. It's not looking good. :rollno:

According to Paypal, the seller has until the 12th to respond.