Starting my first upgrade advice on mixing cabs,

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JamesDC, Dec 29, 2013.

1. JamesDC

JamesDC

I'm currently playing a genz 6.2 thru markbass 2x10. I have my eye on upgrading my cabs to bergantino (2x10 for starters) and want to grab a Monique pre amp.

Questions: I know the conventional wisdom on mixing different brands of cabs, would it make zero sense to mix a cab like mb with a berg?

Also- would it make more sense to get the pre amp first or the cab first? Cost is the limiting factor - need to stagger purchases- but as I go to gigs without FOH sound I'm already running into slight issues filling crowded rooms with my 2x10 - so I'll be adding something and am trying to figure out what makes the most sense, in terms of filling the room -heating up my signal or getting more speakers- assuming bergs wouldn't sound weird with markbass.

I play sousaphone and my interest is in getting the most punch for my blast as well as highlight the percussive and vocalic effects that come with the instrument. To that end- I've heard some folks say that compressors aren't adding much to the Monique sound. What's up with that?
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

As always, the best second cabinet to add is one identical to the first.
  3. JamesDC

JamesDC

Thanks, as you can see, I've already acknowledged that and the question was more of a a secondary one: if that isn't what I want to do- because I'm upgrading generally, is it completely crazy to pair a berg with a markbass traveler due to how disparate they are in quality?is there a useful rule of thumb re sensitivity/signal to go by? Eventually I'll sell the mb and buy a matching pair.

Also- if you were in my situation would you get a nice pre amp first or an extra cab?
  4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

It makes little sense to pair ANY 2 unlike cabs together. But, if your main concern right now is volume, a 2nd identical cab would give you a huge boost in tone AND volume. Or, dump the 210, and get a single larger cab.
  5. BassmanPaul

What is wrong with the pre in the Genz amp??
  6. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

The J. Monique près seem to be the flavor of the month here (not trying to say they aren't great, they undoubtedly are superb) but you might want to consider getting something with a bit more eq in order to shape the sound you are going for, especially when dealing with a mic'd instrument- your mic will also have a pretty dramatic impact on the response you are looking for, more so than anything else since it's the first thing in the signal chain…
    All that said, i'd add a matching cab or at least test out the combination of different cabs if at all possible before dropping coin...
  7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

We can't really know if mixing the two brands will play well together. They are made by two different "people" with different design goals. They may or may not play well together. Get your cab situation sorted first, it won't matter what it "sounds" like before the cabs if people can't hear it.
  8. JamesDC

JamesDC

It doesn't have pretty tubes, 1000s of bass players slobbering over it or pictures of pretty legs on its website.

Look, I'm old, have a chip on my shoulder the size of a sousaphone, when it comes to playing bass gigs, and can't afford to buy a red Maserati.... Let me have my gear fetish.

I'm really enjoying playing bass guitar parts in one of my bands. the more I compress and heat up the signal, the more surprised I am at the fact that I can push the articulation of the instrument beyond what I've heard. Anything that cleans up the sound enables this. EG: Most tuba players I've asked hate using compression- because it limits the tonal capacity of the instrument,I love it- because it makes me sound more like a string bass player. I don't want to limit the genres I play in based on speed or articulation or intonation -natural limitations of the instrument.
  9. JamesDC

JamesDC

Thanks Doug. I think you've actually been my sound guy a time or two - and I liked the way you mixed me. Dub pixels sounds awfully familiar. Aren't you big into able ton as well?
  10. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Yeah i'm an ableton nut… thanks for being patient to work with too, it's a partnership to get things right!
  11. BassmanPaul

You might possibly be a candidate for the "Grumpy" club! :)

I caution trying to make a brass instrument into something it's not. Both brass and stringed instruments have their own particular beauty. Sometimes one does not translate well in place of the other.

WARNING Tuba solo looming!! :D
  12. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1. Yep.

But some people just like a crapshoot. ;)

OP: Good luck.

[​IMG]
  13. BassmanPaul

Don't make me come over there Joe!! Having just survived a four day power blackout with minus temperatures I can tell you I'm definitely grumpy!!

It's nice and warm in California right? :D
  14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yep, it was 26 degrees this morning. :D
  15. JamesDC

JamesDC

Hey, it's working so far! I'm definitely grumpy- particularly when engineers tell me what you just did. I love playing like a bass player. Also love the ability to sustain notes and bridge the gap- as well as combine embouchre effects with envelope filter sounds.The only real limitation is going out of tune on low B- have to auto tune on recordings.
    Bass is bass and voicing is the fun challenge. Oh and Paul- no tuba solo but,,,get off my lawn!

Thanks guys, I think I will experiment with getting a good quality pre amp first. The mark bass traveler doesn't give my low end the sound I need- so I hate to double it when there are so many supposedly better,albeit heavier, cabs on the market, the genz is a nice amp for horn and I'm 'almost there' just a few thousand more bucks...

DARK - I remember now- you mixed me with Joao Erbetta at iota and did a wonderful job my own sound is loads better now. I'm back there in jan - all the guys have been good. Hope to work with you again, love your dub pixel stuff.
  16. BassmanPaul

B@#%^&D :D
  17. BassmanPaul

i'm driving what has basically become an ice cube it's so covered. We're on the plus side of freezing now and sheets of ice are falling from building, including the CN Tower, and bonking folk on the head. Some street closures have been put into effect. About 20% of the city's tree canopy has been destroyed. All really sad to see. :scowl:
  18. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Don't hate me, but I have the house opened up, and still in shorts here in Florida :D
  19. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Wow, that's to cold for me.

Yeah I know - but the mid 20s is cold for Santa Rosa, CA.

Anyway, I hope it warms up for you soon.

Cheers,
    Joe
  20. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

What specifically do you perceive you are mising in the existing preamp on the Shuttle?