1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Starting to play upright. Is this bass good to start with?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by DerrickShaney, Mar 4, 2014.

1. DerrickShaney

DerrickShaney

I an electric bass player looking to begin learning upright. I have been searching for a reasonably priced bass to start with. I want something that is not going to be hard to play and will hold up with my bluegrass band. I have recently come across this CL posting and have been thinking about purchasing this bass. Can anybody give me advice as to whether this is a good deal or good quality bass to start with. It is a 1947 Kay for $1000. Posting is below with pics and info.

Thanks!

http://stcloud.craigslist.org/msg/4358652192.html

2. FatBoutedGirls

FatBoutedGirls

The H-10 designates a 1/4 sized bass with a 35 1/2 inch scale. The most common double bass is a 3/4 size with around a 42 inch scale. Unless you are a very small person I wouldn't recommend it.

3. bassteban

bassteban

From a COMPLETELY-uncredited-from-the-DB-side perspective, what she said.
    Also, nice username.
    :)

4. DerrickShaney

DerrickShaney

What are the negatives about playing with a smaller scale? Would it be debilitating to my learning? I feel like it might be better to start with one of these as it would be cheaper and more portable. I am a taller guy though so I would need to extend the pin. What are the pros/cons of a 3/4 vs 1/4 I am looking to mainly play bluegrass with it. Thanks!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

How tall are you?
    Usually by the time students are in 7th or 8th grade they're ready for a 1/2 size.

7. DerrickShaney

DerrickShaney

8. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

If you're over 5'6" there's no reason not to use a 3/4 bass. Small basses sound lousy and don't have the same resale value. If you want to play, play the real thing.

9. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Supporting Member

I'd second everyone's recommendation to get a "standard" 3/4 size bass. Especially if you're 6' 2".

1) No matter what instrument you get, you're going to want a reputable shop to check it out.

2) If you buy this smaller bass and you're serious about upright, you'll just need to turn around a sell it.

3) You'll need a teacher, and he / she will likely be playing a 3/4 size, which will help you to "mirror" their ergonomics. The ergo is tough enough with a 3/4 sizeĀ… you don't want the smaller size working against you.

I'd recommend finding a teacher FIRST, then having him / her help you find and instrumentĀ… maybe from one of their students upgrading from plywood.

4) You should be able to find a decent plywood 3/4 size for 1K, maybe even including setup, if you're able to look around, wait, and pounce when one comes up.

10. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

The crippling lack of volume and low end response would be your primary problem. I once played one of those fun-size Kays in a jam with a young lady playing an upright piano. I was inaudible.

The secondary problem is that you'd look like a dork playing it.

Problems three to infinity have to do with the inherent design and construction problems Kays have, a likely history of poor maintenance, the fact that it's a deteriorating older cheapo plywood bass, the seller's optimistic asking price for that bass...

11. DerrickShaney

DerrickShaney

These are the things I was needing to hear. Thanks for all the info folks!

12. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

13. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

14. FatBoutedGirls

FatBoutedGirls

I didn't want to say it...

Pretty sure that's the real determining factor.