Static noise which gets considerably louder at night??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by obimark, Dec 25, 2012.

1. obimark

obimark

Hello - I think my issue is one of poor wiring in my house (newer house to), but curious has anyone experienced an annoying sort of static buzz through your amp, that gets MUCH louder at night only? (I believe what happens is I am on the second floor of my house, and the wiring is not grounded as well as it should be) I use a good triplite Iso power supply, mogami gold cable, and the noise is very low in the daytime (unless I crank the treble on my amp- TC BG250). But at night it gets loud enough where it is annoying if I am playing solo bass. (not a problem when playing along with a cd/etc...) I had my bass checked out as far as whether the pickup is going but it is fine.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Would it be worth getting an electrician to check the power circuits/grounding?

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What else is on the circuit and what kind of lighting is in the room?

3. dincz

dincz

Fluorescent lighting could be causing it. Try switching the lights on/off.

4. 5port

5port

Carry a portable AM radio tuned to where there is no station around the house/neighborhood until you find it. I'm betting its a bad power line connection on your block.

"Fluorescent lighting could be causing it. Try switching the lights on/off."

Compact florescent bulbs are a huge offender.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. obimark

obimark

Check- I did replace the bulbs with compact fluorescents, maybe need to switch them back to good old cheap-o bulbs.

7. tmdazed

tmdazed

If there is a dimmer anywhere in circuit too will do it

8. Calaverasgrande

Calaverasgrande

9. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Are there street lights outside your window?

I have the same problem, albeit in an older house (and older wiring). During the day, I get very little, if any, interference. Come night-time, depending on which bass I'm playing, the static noise can get to where it's no fun playing. So, an old house/wiring and a ceiling fan/light with dimmer switch are the constants. IMO, the one primary variable that changes are the street lights. It could also be that with more people home at night instead of at work/school/etc., there is more of a draw on electricity in your home depending on what they're all doing.

Do you have a bass w/ humbuckers? I found that using either my Music Man or my former Lakland 44-02 would tame the noise. Forget it using my jazz or P bass with single- or split-coils.

10. obimark

obimark

Yeah I have the stock open-pole P-bass pickups so it is definetely picking up whatever eletrical static the stuff is putting out.

The CEILING Fan light makes it much louder as well. Well until I get it fixed my familyt gets a break from my bass after 8:00 most nights (at least they will be happy) as I agree it does make me want to play only in the day in this room.