Status Graphite STREAMLINE B string: sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akori, Mar 3, 2014.

1. akori

akori Supporting Member

Hello Status STREAMLINE owners:
    I've been wanting one of these for a while (two in fact, one fretless, the other fretted). As soon as I sell a 25th Anniversary mint PRS SC245, I plan to order a Streamline fretless from Rob Green.
    And mind you, I use super light strings already (Thomastik Jazz rounds), but my question is:

Keeping the very light string gauges Rob prefers, how does the Streamline five string handle the Low B? I mean, is it kind of dead or floppy, the way most low Bs are? Honestly, They usually sound fairly dead and punky to me, and the intonation is poor.
    My biggest concern, though is Can one retain a super low action with out lots of buzz, without jacking the low B up on this instrument? From what I hear, the streamline will set up very low, being rigid and perfectly leveled ....but I wonder if the Low B just needs too much room, and it might end up being a lot higher than the rest of the strings, if they're real close to the board or frets (I always shoot for a G string of 30-40 thousandths on the G string at the 12th position, and about 45 on the D string, 50 0n the A, and 60-70 thousandths on the E) I can usually get that setup, if the frets or board are perfectly leveled.

Thanks, Streamline owners: please let me know your experience with the B...