Status or Dingwall??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mexibass, Nov 15, 2012.

1. mexibass

mexibass

Ok, fellow low-enders of the world! This is it: I'm finally able to afford a 3,000 USD "boutique" bass. After much thinking, it has come down to 2 choices: Status S2-Classic 4 string, headed with front LED's, or Dingwall 5 string ABZ with Luminlay system.

What would you choose? I've never played any of them, just read tons of reviews and watched lots of videos. I'm a sucker for front LED's, that's the real reason Status is one of my final options, an option I still can afford that is. But Dingwall fanned fretboard seems so nice and pristine sounding.

If u own any of these basses, what are your experiences? and finally, if you could spare 3 grand, what bass would you choose instead of this 2 and why? Hopefully, u guys help me clear my mind :)

Greetings from Cancun, Mexico!
  2. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I would NEVER recommend a Dingwall to someone who hasn't played one. Never, ever.

I bought one sight unseen and absolutely hated the fanned frets. You might love it though.

Beautiful bass, sounded great.... Just not for me. I wanted to love it as Sheldon is a great guy and a fellow Canadian... I just couldn't and sold it after a month.
  3. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

LEDs, to me, are not a very good reason to buy a bass. I've owned a Status S2 and, while it was a very well made instrument, I found that it didn't end up suiting my needs tonally (it was also a bit heavier than I generally like my basses to be). What kind of sound are you looking for? What kind of music do you play? Do you have any experience with graphite-necked instruments? If I had $3000 and couldn't save up the balance for an MTD 535 (my bass of choice in most situations) or a Sadowsky NYC I'd most likely be looking at either a Lull, a Sadowsky Metro or (going on reputation only) a Roscoe.
  4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

They seem like pretty different options to be choosing between.

I think I'd do whatever I could to play one of each before settling on a $3000 bass sight unseen.

And of course any shop that carries either would likely have some other cool stuff to try out as well.

But if you're set on one or the other, I'd recommend buying used because at least that way you can recoup what you spent (minus shipping) if they don't turn out to be the bass for you.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Oracle

Oracle Banned

I have a Dingwall and it is great bass. Light weigth, beatiful construction, B string is unbelivable. In my experience fanned frets were just like normal frets, nothing to adapt or change, I can switch between my Lakland and Dingwall without a problem.
  7. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

i concur
  8. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Dingwall. Not even close (for me).
  9. pbass2

pbass2

I owned a Dingwall AB1 for about 6 months or so, bought without having every tried one. It sounded killer, and was the only B string that I ever played that sounded really like it was really integrated with the bass. Amazing B string actually. Got used to the fanned frets pretty quickly. Upper-register chords were a little weird at first though.
    However, I'm a small-ish guy, and it became clear that the scale length was just too much for me. The bass WAS very ergonomic and comfy and light, and hung there very nicely when standing, but that 37" scale was too much--I actually developed a shoulder problem playing it! I also found that pickstyle palm-muting was a little weird for me(which I do a lot), with the angled bridge. YMMV of course, but I'd try one out first if you can.
  10. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

the DW super J and super P are a little shorter in scale; 32-25 inches. a perfect fit for myself
  11. murphy

murphy

Dingwall are fantastic.
    i had no prob adjusting to the fan frets when I try them....haven't owned one
    Status....Rob Green is a great guy also....fast basses

my vote Dingwall....just because I have played them more recently....love them
    Status, I haven't played since the 80's , so not really qualified to judge
  12. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Dingwall, that B string is just unreal. And the fanned frets require nothing at all to get used to ime. Dingwalls will cure all that ails ya.
  13. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

for three grand you could buy a nice used afterburner 2 that would cover just about everything. if you can find one
  14. mexibass

mexibass

That's the only thing I'm afraid of: not getting used to the fanned frets system. Although, most of the people who has tried them or own them say that you can't get used to it pretty fast. Problem is there's no way I can get one of those in Mexico to try'em before buying :(
  15. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    Funny, I was thinking just the same about the Status. ;)
  16. mexibass

mexibass

You got me! I know it is not a very good reason, considering that this option adds around 650 USD to the original price. It's just that I just have always wanted that glowing thing on my fretboard... can't really explain it. I could even pay for the bass without even tried a graphite neck before! But in the end I guess getting the Status just for the sake of LED's it's not the best move possible.

I'm a very versatile player: I got gigs with a jazz trio, a funk-latin-pop combo and I also play at the local Hard Rock Cafe so I have to rock real hard as you can imagine. But I have other axes for that: Pedulla Rapture J2, Musicman Stingray HH, a fretless Ibanez SG500, and a Squier Vintage Jazz Bass.

You think the Sadowsky, the Roscoe or the Mike Lull could help me get thru all this with the same bass?? Can I get one of those for 3 grand? Then again, it's impossible to test either of them here in Southern Mexico. You never see any of those around.
  17. mexibass

mexibass

Yeah, it's impossible to see these kind of basses here in Cancun. All you get is lots of Fenders, Yamahas, Warwicks sometimes and that's about it.:rollno:
  18. 7777777

3K.... you should consider a used one as well, if LED is not that big deal for you.

MTD, Sadowsky, Pre-Gibson Tobias, Pedulla, Mike Lull, Ken smith, Alembic, Roscoe, etc.

It actually depends on your "tone" need.

I personally think you can't always get 3K to be spent on one bass.

But, if you still stick with Status or Dingwall, I would recommend to go with S-2.

Will never regret!
  19. mexibass

mexibass

well, that doesn't sound good. I'm not that tall and I just started getting shoulder problems too. Man, didn't think a 37 incher would be a problem for my height!
  20. mexibass

mexibass

The Super J looks amazing and really cool! It could be a good choice!
  21. mexibass

mexibass

thnx for the input man!