1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Status or Strobel for travel

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pecBass, Jan 22, 2014.

1. pecBass

pecBass

Looking at the Status S2 & Streamline or the Strobel Rambler as a travel base.

Thoughts on pros and cons of each?

Thanks!
  2. Hawkbone

Hawkbone Supporting Member

Personally I wouldn't even consider the Strobel based on looks alone - it looks like a prototype aimed at avoiding the cost of a Steinberger style bridge and tuning system. There's a big price difference, but IMO the Status is worth it (graphite vs wood, Steinberger style bridge vs the Strobel workaround, etc.). If you can't afford the Status, look for a good used Hohner headless or equivalent.
  3. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

I can't think of any cons to the Streamline, other than price. To have a bass that good be that portable... it's pretty much an ideal solution.

/rick
  4. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

The Streamline!!! hands down, no contest.
  5. pecBass

pecBass

6. Lulu

Lulu Supporting Member

I have one Streamline 5 if you want :)
  7. Mister_argentum

Mister_argentum Supporting Member

8. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham

I'd be swaying towards a Status here, or at very least a Hohner B2a, as the Strobel seems to be a bit of a compromise in the bridge/tuning area. It is probably a good bass, but when I look at it, my head is telling me that the tuning post system could be an inherent weakspot.

Something like the Status seems a bit more "right" for a serious travelling as the Steinberger type system keeps all the tension points "inside" the line of body/bridge and less likely to take damage by whacking something that is (though anyone in the right mind should loosen off whilst travelling) under load; and also if you're pulling serious distances in short time then something like the Status with the graphite build components isn't going to be as affected by heat/cold/humidity as much.

So which one would I choose? Well, if it was going to be an all round instrument for gigging with as well as travelling with, then the Status (or a B2a/Steinberger), it it was just something to throw in the back of the car when I'm going on holiday once a year or on an assignment where I'm away from home for a couple of days every so often... I'd probably consider the Strobel.