Status or Strobel for travel

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pecBass, Jan 22, 2014.

1. pecBass

pecBass

Looking at the Status S2 & Streamline or the Strobel Rambler as a travel base.

Thoughts on pros and cons of each?

Thanks!
  2. Hawkbone

Hawkbone Supporting Member

Personally I wouldn't even consider the Strobel based on looks alone - it looks like a prototype aimed at avoiding the cost of a Steinberger style bridge and tuning system. There's a big price difference, but IMO the Status is worth it (graphite vs wood, Steinberger style bridge vs the Strobel workaround, etc.). If you can't afford the Status, look for a good used Hohner headless or equivalent.
  3. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

I can't think of any cons to the Streamline, other than price. To have a bass that good be that portable... it's pretty much an ideal solution.

/rick
  4. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

The Streamline!!! hands down, no contest.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pecBass

pecBass

7. Lulu

Lulu Supporting Member

I have one Streamline 5 if you want :)
  8. Mister_argentum

Mister_argentum Supporting Member

9. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham

I'd be swaying towards a Status here, or at very least a Hohner B2a, as the Strobel seems to be a bit of a compromise in the bridge/tuning area. It is probably a good bass, but when I look at it, my head is telling me that the tuning post system could be an inherent weakspot.

Something like the Status seems a bit more "right" for a serious travelling as the Steinberger type system keeps all the tension points "inside" the line of body/bridge and less likely to take damage by whacking something that is (though anyone in the right mind should loosen off whilst travelling) under load; and also if you're pulling serious distances in short time then something like the Status with the graphite build components isn't going to be as affected by heat/cold/humidity as much.

So which one would I choose? Well, if it was going to be an all round instrument for gigging with as well as travelling with, then the Status (or a B2a/Steinberger), it it was just something to throw in the back of the car when I'm going on holiday once a year or on an assignment where I'm away from home for a couple of days every so often... I'd probably consider the Strobel.