Status S2 Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by kvnjcbsn93, Nov 8, 2011.

1. kvnjcbsn93

kvnjcbsn93

After finish my first jazz bass build I have decided that I want to do another. And one of my new favorite basses would have to be the status graphite s2. Ive already started and printed out a copy of the body to 21 x 14.5 (which for some reason looks a bit too big to fit onto a regular body blank but I guess I will have to find out when i order it) and have it glued onto a piece of MDF that I am going to cut out in the next few days with a jigsaw and coping saw for detailing.

[​IMG]

Im still deciding what type of wood im going to use for the body. Im leaning toward Alder body if its going to be a solid color and maybe walnut if i go transparent. Also if i am going to go with a carbon fiber neck with a wood core or just a maple neck with ebony finger board or a phenolic fingerboard if I can find one.

So if you have any comments or think of any thing that can help I would be happy for the advice.
  2. kvnjcbsn93

kvnjcbsn93

Just finished the body template. Now for the neck.

ForumRunner_20111110_171716.png
  3. SaintMez

SaintMez

I've never seen a status S2 before (I must live under a rock). I like the shape of it. I'll be interested to see how this turns out. Did I miss how many strings your going with?
  4. FretFree

FretFree

Subscribing!

Looking forward to seeing how this takes shape... and from a local, no less!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Big boutique 80s bass. Mark King most notably played one during the level 42 heyday, and they have quite a few other endorsers. A Status made a famous appearance in the Tears For Fears "Shout" video that at one point was being played every 8 minutes on MTV.

Big fan of the design and tone. Subscribed.
  7. kvnjcbsn93

kvnjcbsn93

I haven't completely decided on the amount of strings yet but I would like to do a 5 string. but for some reason i think that doing a four string may be easier.

And would anyone know what scale i would have to print this picture to have a correct sized neck and headstock to make the template?

[​IMG]
  8. headlikeahole

headlikeahole

Disclosures:
    Owner: Zoov Custom Guitars
    You need to make a decision on amount of string and your scale length. Figure out what string spacing you like at the nut and bridge. Personally I like 3/8 at the nut 3/4 at the bridge. After the outer most strings at the nut and bridge add 1/8 or 3/16 depending on what you prefer. Connect the lines from the bridge to the nut and that is your neck. I wouldn't try and make a neck template from an enlarged picture.
  9. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays... Supporting Member

Gah! GAS ATTACK!!!
  10. kvnjcbsn93

kvnjcbsn93

Its going to be a 34" scale 4 string. The nut width is 1.5 inches and 2.5 inches at its thickest. In this picture I accidentily put it at 33" so i corrected it and im drawing the headstock right now.

ForumRunner_20111111_120115.png
  11. kvnjcbsn93

kvnjcbsn93

Think I did okay on the neck for having to cut it out with a jig saw and coping saw. Even though it isnt perfectly squared i think i should be able to fix it or try at another template

ForumRunner_20111111_143202.png
  12. kris pung

kris pung

Looks great but it looks like the bridge may be a touch to close to the bottom edge.
  13. kvnjcbsn93

kvnjcbsn93

Really? Cause im probably gonna use a gotoh bridge like i have on my jazz bass and its in about the same position.
  14. headlikeahole

headlikeahole

Disclosures:
    Owner: Zoov Custom Guitars
    Do you have a router? Use a straight edge and a router to clean up the neck template.
  15. kris pung

kris pung

Scale length is measured from nut to bridge saddles so if you look at this photo it would appear that your scale length mark is too far back on your template.
  16. SaintMez

SaintMez

He's right. It's a little too far back. The amount of strings won't make the build any harder IMO. The same planning and execution would be needed on a four string as it would on a six. My first build is a six and think the only real difference is the expense for the hardware.
  17. kvnjcbsn93

kvnjcbsn93

Is it really to the saddles? Cause stewmac says that its to the furthest placed screws on the bridge. So i guess ill move it up maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch and do the same to the neck and neck pocket
  18. SaintMez

SaintMez

Yes its the saddles with their postion being the closest possible to the nut.
  19. kvnjcbsn93

kvnjcbsn93

Thanks for the help so far guys. Ive fixed up the templates with a router and adjusted the location for the bridge and moved the neck out a bit more to keep the scale length. Im now talking around locally for some california walnut. And if anyone knows where to buy some carbon fiber fabric plz let me know. =)
  20. SaintMez

SaintMez

I should've known this. Im a Mark King fan and listened to Level 42 quite a lot in the early 90's thanks to my older brother. "Love Games" was one of the first songs with slapping that I learned to play.:bassist:
  21. kvnjcbsn93

kvnjcbsn93

okay so i havent been up to much lately but I found a hardwood store that has good prices on just about every piece of wood. which leaves me with the question of what type I should use. Im going to be using obeche for the neck(its going to have a CF skin), but the body I originally planned on using just a solid piece of walnut but with the prices and different woods this place was has im having second thoughts. I was thinking maybe mahogany w/ quilted maple top or just a regular piece of alder and paint it. So in other words i need some ideas.

Mahogany w/ quilted maple pic
    [​IMG]