1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Staying in Austin, TX for a few nights

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lync, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Lync

Lync

Going there on 2/28 to 3/3 to hang with friends and get out to the bars to see live music. Any recommendations for a decent hotel where I can walk to live music bars?

2. dee rob

dee rob

What kinds of music do you like? If it were me, I'd stay at one of the hotels downtown, and then cab it to various venues. I mean, if you're downtown you'll be close to Dirty Six, but you'll mainly see cover bands in that area. If you're looking for local original bands/artists, you can try places like the Continental Club,(they have a smaller club called the Gallery directly above.) the Saxon Pub or One 2 One bar.....that's a start.

dee

3. Lync

Lync

Thanks...I think interested in both. It is just a few days away to party with buddies, so any live music is good.

Is downtown like the 6th street area? Are we cabbing it no matter what?

4. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus Supporting Member

Red River District

Generally Downtown is 6th. I usually stay away from there. The clubs with dance tunes and stuff. There is some stuff popping up East of I35 too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dee rob

dee rob

If you're staying downtown, you won't need to cab to 6th st. Most of our "entertainment district" is downtown, but some of the more popular live music venues are just a bit outside of downtown.

dr

7. dozicusmaximus

What kind of music would you most likely be wanting to check out?
    I'm sure your friends have a handle on where to go and what to feed you :)

8. Lync

Lync

Live music with a country/new country/Americana vibe I guess. I could go for some gold 'ol cow punk too.

And of course beer!

We are going to see Monte Montgomery at the One World Theatre, but for the rest of the time, we want our hotel to be in walking distance to some of the aforementioned types of music venues.

Really though taking a trip with a few buddies away from the family just to party and enjoy music is gonna be a win anyway! :bassist:

9. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    6th st. is the college party type stuff mostly. Red River betwern 6th and 9th has turned into a pretty cool little metal/punk scene. Other varieties of music around there too, not just strictly metal. Also check out who's playing at Antones and Stubbs BBQ that week, both walking distance. 6th st. east of I-35 is turning into a sort of hip little scene too, also walking distance.

Also check who's playing the Continental Club on S. congress, walking distance over the bridge. The Saxon Pub and the Broken Spoke on S. Lamar will be cab ride distance though not too far/expensive.

The "Austin Chronicle" is our free newspaper here with all the entertainment listings. Can see that at www.auschron.com

10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    There's also the new theatre on 2nd st. where they film Austin City limits, can check that, and there's Threadgill's and a couple other bars jist across the river, those are walking distance. Hill's Cafe further down S. Congress (cab ride) used to do a country music series on I think wednesday nights or something but I'm not sure if they're doing that now. I think it's a summertime thing.

11. Lync

Lync

Awesome-thanks! Right there is plenty of stuff to check out. Any nice hotels you can recommend in that area?

12. dozicusmaximus

Nice....
    The Driskill
    W Hotel