1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Steel Panther

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by deeptubes, Jan 6, 2014.

1. deeptubes

deeptubes

Does anyone here listen to Steel Panther? The only person I've known who did is a complete knucklehead and I have zero respect for his musical tastes. He played some for me once, and I thought it was utterly classless. I understand that is more-or-less what they're attempting, but how can people accept them as serious musicians if they don't even take themselves seriously? It's like they are using a gimmick to TRY to get laid. I liken them to a hair metal version of 2 Live Crew, as opposed to a hair metal version of let's say...Venom. I guess I might have chuckled at a song or two 25 years ago when I was a teenager. But, as a musician, as an adult, as a husband, and as a father I find them vile, offensive, pathetic, and just generally douchy.

Hair metal died for a reason. People eventually woke up and said "Why the duck are we listening to this crap?" Let it rest in peace.

/end rant
  2. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

I've been into those guys since they went by "Metal Shop".

I thought "Danger Kitty" was a pretty entertaining incarnation as well.
  3. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

4. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Steel Panther is a parody band much like Spinal Tap or Bad News. Not sure if OP is serious or not.
  5. superfunk47

superfunk47

A couple of the songs were somewhat entertaining the first time around. They die quick.
  6. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

I think their funny and think it's cool that they have all the old hair guys sit in. They've got a setlist of something like 1000 songs.
  7. StingrayDerek

StingrayDerek Supporting Member

They are insane musician's who parody 80's glam metal. They also put on a fantastic live show! Can you really hate on them for doing what they love and making a pretty penny?
  8. jd-ns

jd-ns Supporting Member

Replace 'Steel Panther' with the name of any of the current "modern country" singers/groups into your original rant and I would agree!
  9. richntiff

richntiff

your opinion is duly noted. So long, and thanks for all the fish!
  10. 20db pad

20db pad

These damn kids and their rock music.
  11. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

They know they look and sound like douches....that's the point. It's just a funny little throwback to 80s hair bands with a semi comical intent. The guitarist for them does a video series on guitar worlds YT channel and he's pretty damn funny sometimes.

And FWIW: I hate hair metal
  12. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp Supporting Member

A brilliant way to make a living,and they get to meet and play with their idols.
  13. avvie

avvie Supporting Member

How can you not like a band who sings DEATH!!!...TO ALL!!....BUTT METAAAAL!!!
  14. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

i don't judge other people on the kind of music they dig.
  15. domdec314

domdec314 Supporting Member

They don't take themselves seriously? It a parody act! That's like saying "how can anybody take 'weird al' seriously when he doesn't take himself seriously?"
  16. Andy D

Andy D

I keep hoping everyone will wake up and say "Why the hell are we listening to this indie "rock" crap?" and it will rest in peace. Sounds like middle class suburban complacency to me.
  17. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Read your post again, but stop at the end of every sentence, and tell yourself "THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT."

They're TRYING to appeal to knuckleheads.

They're TRYING to be utterly classless.

They're NOT taking themselves seriously.

They ARE using a gimmick.

Their humor is SUPPOSED to be adolescent and douchey.

And most importantly, they're TRYING to make terrible music because sometimes it doesn't matter how terrible something is, the fact that someone took the time to execute it to its utter perfection as an artform is simply awesome. Just look at things like hotdog eating contests, air guitar contests, DDR contests, or hell, even real break dancing contests. These things draw a crowd because, yes, the activity is completely asinine, but the people doing it are REALLY good at it!

Hair metal is terrible, and these guys are the BEST at being the WORST.
  18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Either OP was trolling us, or he was too much of an actual knucklehead to realize he was successfully trolled by Steel Panther! :D
  19. 10cc

10cc

Best show I saw in 2012 or 13 can't remember I know it was they're first time in Atlanta. These guys are great musicians go check the history of some of them. I heard the singer use to be in LA Guns or something. Plus they are making big money playing music, ORIGINAL music. Their talents are on a different level for real. I love em! "Death to all but metal"! If you are offended by them well... Good.
  20. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Supporting Member

" As a musician, as an adult, as a husband as a father I find them vile, offensive, pathetic......"

You sir, have become YOUR father.