Steel Pick on Tapewounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by naaily, Apr 15, 2014.

1. naaily

naaily

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help with a small query I have? I recently ordered some fender heavy steel picks and a set of d'Addario Tapewound medium gauge nylons to use on my active Squier Deluxe IV.

Firstly, how weird will this combo sound? (Bear in mind, I will rarely use the pick as I am mainly a finger player. And I am looking for a weird sound ;) ).

Secondly, how badly will the steel pick mash up the nylon strings?

Thanks!! :bassist:
  2. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

I've used a stainless steel pick on D'Addario tapes because it was the only i could find. I was as light as possible with my attack because i was afraid of shredding them. The sound was quite nice and it only left some marks on the strings.
  3. rodl2005

rodl2005

I use nylon picks often on tapewounds. Haven't noticed any problems. Dunno about steel picks but can't imagine they'd be that much different.
  4. SuperSubSonicRainboom

SuperSubSonicRainboom

it will sound weird. probly hollowed out in a "weird graphic eq setting" sound and have funny slippery plunk attack. would be nice to flip to in a set to help distinguish some songs or parts of songs from the other songs and parts of songs. sounds like fun!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. naaily

naaily

Hey guys. Thanks for the feedback. The strings arrived today and I have to say that they sound AMAZING with or without a pick!!!
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk