1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Steely Dan's 2 Against Nature hpf and lpf points on the bass ?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by 4Mal, Apr 15, 2014.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Listening at work, dang that's rich but defined... Anybody have a guess at the range they let through on the bass... The kick is a toughie as well. Typical for SD, the mix is just ridiculously good...

2. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

I like the subject on your thread. I'm assuming you're asking about Tom Barney's bAss sound... :oops:).

He definitely is on the bridge pickup on "Gaslighting Abby"- to approximate that sound, you might start by goosing the 250Hz a bit and roll a passive treble off by about 30%. It definitely is tight below 100Hz. I like that sound, even though I don't go for it when I play!

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Oh lord the typo's...

Thanks, I hope to play with it a bit when I get home tonight. I'm kinda interested in how I can get there live. I play through the P A almost all the time and my board has pretty decent EQ. That sound could really fit when I use basses with mag pickups...

4. wasabifox

wasabifox

Tom Barney is using a MM Stingray on Gaslighting Abbey.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkBass

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. joebar

joebar

a sonic tapestry-
    yeah it sounds like a ray on the opening track.