1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Steinberger L2 - A Geddy Thanksgiving!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WalWarrior, Nov 28, 2013.

1. WalWarrior

WalWarrior Supporting Member

Years ago when I worked for GE, I was called in on a brief on call issue on a Saturday to consult on an install in Washington, DC for what my boss said would take 5 minutes. I was on my way to a rehearsal when my pager went off. ( this was 1991 ) No cell phones then... The 5 minutes turned into over an hour. I return to my vehicle to find the window smashed and my prized Steinberger L2 and Brooklyn era Spector I just purchased from Gordon Miller Music gone. It felt like I had been kicked in the nuts a million times. Last night I found a Vintage Steinberger L2 from 1983 with a slightly higher S/N (+500, 8 mos newer) than my original in mint condition. This is indeed a Geddy Thanksgiving! Grace under Pressure here I come! I feel whole again!

2. bassclef112

bassclef112

Congrats on finally coming full circle with the Steiner. I know you'll enjoy it for the amazingly innovative and totally awesome bass it is!

(I have an '86 XL-2 that I will never part with).

3. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

Wow, that must have been a seriously painful moment, I'd have totally flipped. Anyway thats a damn nice bass, I'd love to get one someday.

4. ERIC31

ERIC31

Let's see a picture of that prize!! =)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

I had serial number 550ish. Cool piece

7. WalWarrior

Awesome, thanks for the replies guys. This bass was owned by a touring pro who bought it new in 1983. Not a scratch on it. What a score!

Attached Files:

8. WalWarrior

I lost it. When the cops came I was flipping out. Cop pissed me off telling me I was an idiot for leaving them in the car, even for a second. I kicked the side of his car and put a huge dent in the door. He knew I was pissed. I'm lucky he didn't arrest me for that. I scoured all the pawn shops in proximity for weeks. No trace. I saw my Steinberger on ebay, S/N 808. I bought it used and have no proof it was ever mine. ( I don't even remember if the cops filled out a report) It looked like it had been abused since so I didn't bid to get it back. Never again will I let instruments out of my sight, let alone leave them anyplace. That Spector was awesome as well. That would have been my 3rd Brooklyn era. The other two I currently own are black. The one that was stolen was a red burst. Live and learn.

9. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Congrats!
    Mine's #295, formerly owned by the late, great Dee Murray.
    [​IMG]

10. WalWarrior

That's way cool! Congrats to YOU -