1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Steinberger Spirits

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Vee, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Here it is, the Steinberger Spirit Megathread! Let's rock it..

First, some links!

MusicYo's Spirit XT basses page archive: http://web.archive.org/web/20050210...o.com/brandpos.asp?dept_id=3&Series=XT Series
    MusicYo's Spirit XZ basses page archive: http://web.archive.org/web/20050303...o.com/brandpos.asp?dept_id=3&Series=XZ Series
    MusicYo's Spirit XP basses page archive: http://web.archive.org/web/20041209...o.com/brandpos.asp?dept_id=3&Series=XP Series
    Juststrings.com double ball bass strings: http://www.juststrings.com/steinbergerdoubleballbassguitar.html
    Status Graphite double ball bass strings: http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/index_home.html

Pics!
    Here are my XZs:

[​IMG]

L-R: XZ-25 fretted, XZ-2 fretted, XZ-25 fretless
    Genz Neo-Pak 3.5, Dr.Bass BL1260, EA M-Line Wizzy 12, StroboFlip

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

I once purchased a Spirit 5 string for travel and as a handy backup bass. I sold it within two months because the thing just won't hang right on the body so it could be played. The top part of the body (the E/B string side) would angle downward, which also made the fretboard aim downward away from my eyes, thus involving poor techinique to just play the damned thing.

The original Steinies had a horn-like device for the strap to attach to that avoided this problem. Its absence renedered the Spirit series bass virtually useless.

3. A9X

A9X

4. L-1329

L-1329

Here is my Spirit fiver, which is a fantastic bass. I had it modded with Bartolini classic bass series pickups and the Bart three band preamp. I also installed the strap hook from the Synapse bass, which works miracles on the Spirit. It hangs perfectly, in just the right position and there is no tendency for the bass to 'face down' since the strap hook is bent so the hook is at the body centerline. I use this bass for a travel/practice bass, as well as a good backup for gigs. With the mods I did it really has a great tone, and plays as good as any of my other basses. It's one of my favorite basses I've ever played.:cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. A9X

A9X

I didn't realise they sold them seperately. Certainly looks neater than my industrial chic version.

7. lug

lug

[​IMG]
    Great little bass. :D

8. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

I'm wondering if one of you guys can measure your Spirit end-to-end and report back on it's overall length. I'm trying to find the difference in length between the Spirits and the Synapse basses.

Thanks,

Frank.

9. A9X

A9X

38.5" for both my XL2 and my Hohners.

Why is the length such an issue?
    Really, Hioney, it's actually bigger than it looks. :)

10. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Those basses have super resale value.

11. Michael Vee

This is true, and it's because of MusicYo/Gibson's bizarre marketing and inventory strategies, or lack of them.

Back in the early 2000's, MusicYo maintained a year-round inventory in Nashville of Spirits. Now, they just order barely enough each year to be able to sell them out in less than a month when they are available that one time, usually in early fall.

As a result, you see Spirits on eBay being sold with starting bids of $400 and up. Since all the models sell new for $300-$350, it would be tempting to say that those prices are ridiculous. As the old saying goes, whatever the market will bear, I guess.

12. Michael Vee

Nice XT-2, Lug! And L-1329, I really like your modded XT-25. I'd love to hear one with Barts!

I've always wanted at least one XT. I played an XT-25 in black over at Celestial Mountain Music in Brevard, NC a couple years ago. It was in the shop on consignment, and was $325. I should have jumped on it! It was solid, heavy, and played great.

Eventually, I will grab one, somewhere.

BTW: Jeff Sipe, the celebrated drummer, lives in Brevard and is frequently seen in the Celestial store. I didn't run into him that day, though.

Speaking of whom, is L-1329 anything like Q258?

13. L-1329

L-1329

Can't say I know who/what Q258 is. L-1329 is just a user name for my favorite ride.:cool:

And the Barts really woke the bass up. It sounds great! The tech did a great job getting it all routed and installed as well, and if you never saw one before you'd never guess how extensive it was modded. Great little basses.

14. Panda Licker

Panda Licker

I have a friend, who is actually the father of a kid I went to highschool with, who has one

I worked at a firetruck factory over the summer and made friends with the guy, talking to him about instruments and music almost every day. Well eventually he invited me over his house to watch his band practice (He always has a few people over to watch, supplies food and stuff. Sort of a party)

Well he keeps a Steinberger spirit sitting around his house for when his bass player (who lives an hour away) doesnt have time after work to pick up his Ric.

I got to play it during their break, and I was really impressed. I always say steinbergers as such ugly basses, and just sort of reasoned subconsciously I guess that they would play ugly too. To my pleasant suprise, it was great. Super low action with no buzz whatsoever. The tone wasn't exactly what I'm looking for, but it was very versital. Lots of fun to play around with. His was a 5, which gave me some difficulty (I float with my thumb when I play, so I have a bad habit of jumping to the wrong string on a 5. Always playing the B when I want the E)

I'm waiting for the day I can pick one up cheap. I'm going to be going to my uncles in the Spring, flying there. Would be great to have a steinberger that I can probably fit in an overhead to bring (and along with one of those pocket amplifiers, I'll be set)

15. Michael Vee

http://www.jeffsipe.org/ will clear things up a bit.. nice site.

16. shannons

shannons

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Ampeg
    I just picked up an XZ-25 yesterday in "like new" condition w/ hardshell case! I'm really liking it so far. A few questions....

Has anyone replaced the electronics and pups on theirs? What'd you do with?

What strings are you using? Name and gauges please.

17. A9X

A9X

Congats and enjoy. On all my headless basses I use and recommend Status or Ken Smith strings, that's it.

18. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I'm finally checking in with this megathread. I've had a lot of Steinberger Spirits over the years and picked up another XZ-2 this summer.

I love the light weight and compact size and just wish they were as comfortable to play as my G&Ls are for me. I think they are the ultimate backup & travel bass and hope to someday get around to trying out some different pickups (Rio Grande Pitbulls and Q-Tuners are high on my list unless I do some measurements and find out that G&L MFDs would fit in which case those would be #1). Right now I'm stock and haven't even gotten around to swapping out the pots (I'm going to switch it to vol/blend/tone when I get the time).

This picture of the back shows that I toss an extra strap button on it to move the bass to the right to make it less of a reach to the zero fret.

[​IMG]

19. Paul K

Paul K

I made a Synapse style strap hook out of a plant hook. But I like the picture above much better. So when I go to the hardware store, what is that piece of metal officially called/ what was it's original function before it became a Steiny Hook? It looks like the hook wasn't carved in your garage, but came that way.

Peace
    Paul K

20. A9X

A9X

That's a factory part off an NS Stick.

I jsut bought a piece of flat steel bar that had holes in it. Not sure what it was for, I just saw it and had an idea for this application. Same for an L bracket that was similar which shifted the balance more like the original XL2 pivotplate, but fixed.

21. Paul K

Paul K

I'll hunt around next time I'm at Home Depot. But dang! That piece you have looks just perfect. Gimme a little bit and I'll post what I came up with.

Peace
    Paul K