Stellaahhh!!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Vcell, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Vcell

Vcell

So two big parts of my practice time is arpeggios and transcribing. Right now I'm arpeggiating (<-- Is that a word??) Autumn Leaves in every conceivable key.

I want to transcribe Stella By Starlight. Um... have you ever searched for a version? There are as many as there are artists playing it. There's Ella, Frank, Miles, Jaco, Ray Charles, etc. Wheh! It's dizzying.

So, any recommendations on a version? I want it to be challenging. But not Jaco-Pastorius-challenging. Lol.
  2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Page 382 of The Real Book, 6th Edition has it in 4/4 time key of Bb looks pretty straight forward, i.e. easy.
  3. the_stone

the_stone

The version on Mile Davis's "The Complete 1964 Concert" is considered a classic, with Ron Carter on bass. I know that the concert was originally released on 2 separate albums, and I don't know which of those has the recording of "Stella..." but on the double-CD release I have the bass comes through very clear.
  4. ChunkyMunky

ChunkyMunky

Vcell, you're not the only one who finds it hard to get to grips with when there are so many versions out there.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    What are you trying to transcribe? The melody, solos, the harmony?
    It's in the Real Book in Bb because that's the key Miles played it in, the original is G.