Stellartone Tonestyler question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JimmyM, Feb 7, 2014.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have a Tonestyler Bass Ten in my 09 MIA Precision currently, but it's coming out when I get this new EMG Geezer Butler P Pickup for it. I saw a Tonestyler pedal for sale on here a couple days ago, and it got me thinking that instead of using it in a bass, it would make an awesome low pass filter pedal for the PA only. Thinking of running it after my REDDI and into the PA so it only low passes the PA and not my amp, as I use tweeterless cabs but I like the sound of the bass with treble full up in them much better than in the PA.

So I have a few questions for the techies out there:

1. I want 3 pin XLR ins and outs so I can use mic cables. I don't have that bass here with me right now, but according to pics, the TS has 3 wires ( http://stellartone.com/Page.asp?NavID=147 ). How would I wire it?

2. Do you think I could fit the TS and two XLR jacks into one of those tiny little 1590a pedal boxes? If not, what would you recommend?

3. What unforeseen problems can I have with this setup? Occasionally, I have ground problems using the REDDI but an outboard pin 1 lifter always cures them.

4. I really don't have a question 4. I just want attention.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    81 looks and no answers?

3. dvlmusic

dvlmusic Supporting Member

Interesting concept.

I don't have anything worthwhile to add, I just wanted attention ;)

4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

You won't be able to put the tonestyler after the REDDI. It needs to be directly connected to your bass whether internally or through a cable to interact with the pickup directly.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Really? I don't see why that is, Jeff. It's a fully passive device that's just a series of caps mounted to different dial settings. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but it seems to me that there should be no problem. Care to explain a bit more when you get a chance?

EDIT: Never mind. Just heard from Don at Stellartone and he told me the exact same thing and why that is. Makes sense.

7. Brio

Brio

I have 4 follow-up questions:

1. What was your impression of the TS in your P?

2. Why are you taking it out?

3. Soooo, are you saying your TS is or will be available in the near future?

4. If I also ask a 4th question, am I likely to get the same amount of attention?

8. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

I'll take question 1...

I have a Tonestyler 10 in my Precision. It's a great piece. Going to put one on my Jazz.

9. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

My guess is the Tonestyler is interacting with the impedance of your pickup. If you put it in line after the REDDI, it's in a whole different "circuit" having an altogether different effect on the signal.

I know a specific capacitor has its place in a given circuit, but you can't stick that same capacitor in any circuit at any point in the signal path and expect it to have the same effect. Not unlike series and parallel impedance of speaker configurations, the effect of a capacitor connected to a p\u as compared to being connected to a DI makes it do some different stuff.

My curiosity; is that more or less what Don at Stellartone told you? I'm trying to find out if my thinking is on track.....