1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Stellartone - ToneStyler

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by viclobocga, Jan 30, 2014.

1. viclobocga

viclobocga

I am considering upgrading tones on my Fender V Plus and I was wondering if anyone tried Stellartone - ToneStyler Bass Ten or Bass Eleven for tones.
    Your feedback is much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    :bassist:

2. fjadams

fjadams

I'm a big proponent of them. Have them in almost half my basses. I think they give more control and a better range of tones.

There are a couple of big StellarTone threads. Do a search and you will get as much info PRO & CON as you need to help you decide if they are for you. Plus there are sound clips in them too.

In case you were wondering I have them in a Starcaster, Epiphone Flying V, Gretsch, Gibson TBird, Squier Jag SS, and going in my Telecaster when I get it finished.

3. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

I had one on my US P-bass and didn't like the honky tones it produced with the middle 6-7 settings.

I took it out of that bass and put it in my US Jazz.
    It sounds much more suited to this bass, to my ears at least. I think it's found a home!

Garth Fielding has a great video on Youtube about the Tonestyler. (Do a search).
    Sounds good on his P-bass!

4. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    If you are considering upgrading your tone, you might consider a Turnstyle switch. I have one in my bass (the one in my avatar), and I couldn't be happier with it. They did custom controls, customer service was great, they even buffed out some spots on the body (something I didn't pay them to do).

The end result sounds incredible, and I have practically limitless tonal possibilities.

Full disclosure -- I don't have a financial arrangement with them, but I am an endorsing artist.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ClaudeH

ClaudeH

I have the B10 in my American Precision and i'm quite happy with it.
    I also have the B10 on my Jazz Bass with an xtra 4-way selector switch (Tele type) with a configuration: Bridge PU / Parallel PU / Series PU / neck PU.
    In the parallel and series configuration the two pu act as humbuckers. This is by far my most versatile bass. Their customer service is excellent.

7. viclobocga

viclobocga

Thanks to everyone for the feedback; much appreciated.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have a Bass Ten in my Precision. It rules.

9. depalm

depalm Gold Supporting Member

I don't like it…

The problem is the increase mid frequencies in the upper positions.
    It sounds too honky for my taste. Its a shame 'cause I really like to use the tone control during sessions or live playing, just to tame my tone a little when changing technique (pick, fingerstyle etc…)

But STS seems to be a bit radical for me.

I thought it would allow me to preserve the mid frequencies at the same time it cuts the high frequencies but it dosen't quite work like that. It just adds more mids.

10. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

The Tonestyler offers a different sound than a traditional tone control. It is one where the mids are not lost. I have found my P bass to be more present in the mix while retaining it's place in the appropriate register. It may sound honky soloed in some of the settings, but in a dense mix it is very musical.

It is a simple device that does a lot of things well, but it doesn't behave like a traditional tone control. If you are used to a traditional tone control, it will require you to rethink what is possible. Some bassists (fine ones I'm sure) are content with traditional technology. If you are looking for more options, and some very good ones, then the Tonestyler is worth the effort to explore. It is a powerful and versatile tool, but it is not the same as the trusty traditional tone control, and will not give the same results.

One of the gems I have mined is that with a lower frequency setting, the present mids allow for a deep lows that are not lost in the mix. In something like a blue grass influenced rock song, it is huge and drives the rhythm with beefy authority. You could get something like this with an active on-board tone circuit, but you won't get rid of the electronic sound that on-board pres also introduce.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Actually it doesn't. The trad tone controls take away mids, and the Tonestyler preserves them while reducing treble. The reduction in treble makes it seem like it's adding mids but it doesn't. That said, it's not for everyone, and if you'd rather have a trad tone control, I'm sure you'll sell the TS.

12. depalm

depalm Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I understand. In theory it should work just like the way you described but my experience with it was quite the opposite.
    And please, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tell bad things about this product. It's just not working for me.

It will probably rest in a drawer until I find some use for it.

13. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Supporting Member

I have the ten position one in my American Special P and I couldn't imagine playing without it. It really opens up a lot of tonal options for a passive bass (especially a one pickup one such as a P). Also, I'm always cranking it around to different settings and it's held up perfectly.

14. tdfriday

tdfriday

Somewhat stupid question, but I noticed that most people that use the tone styler speak of their P-bass. Is it primarily a p-bass thing? Does it work/sound the same with the Js?

15. fjadams

fjadams

Yes they will work with a J or any other two pickup bass. Just remove the old pot and wire in the new.

A better option is to use one of the DuoTones. Gives different voicings to the neck and bridge pickup.
    I'm also a big fan of rewiring two pickup basses with Volume/Blend/DuoTone. I think it gives better control of the sound. Not all agree, like everything else.

16. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

Read back through the posts in this topic for my experience with both. For what it's worth.

17. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

Any reports from SCPB-ers? Thinking about one for my Tele.

18. T-34

T-34

Actually it does add the mids. The pickup's inductance together with stellartone's capacitors make a resonant circuit so the frequency just before the hi-cut gets boosted. I did circuit simulation taking this effect into account, here what it does:

[​IMG]

depalm likes this.
  19. AlarmClock314

AlarmClock314

The ToneStyler Duo's work with Vol-Blend? Have a J bass wiring diagram for this setup?

20. fjadams

fjadams

Yes they do. I don't have the diagram, my luthier does all my electronics. But if you go on the StellarTone website they have the diagrams on there.

Or ask Lineman6 for one of his diagrams. I've used a couple of them, and they work exactly as they should.
    V/B/DuoTone is currently my favorite electronics at this point. It's going in one more for sure and probably two more if I get to the third project this summer.

21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    No kidding? According to their literature it doesn't, but it could explain why I had a bit of a time adjusting to it at first. Anyway, I ended up taking it out of that Precision when I got the EMG Geezer Butler P last week because it didn't need it with that pickup.