Stench coming from cab (GK 212 MBE)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bisounourse, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

Hello, I had a rehearsal on Saturday and after playing for 5 or more minutes, the cab was releasing a horrible stench (the smell of burned plastics).

Rig I was using: A Hartke 3500, EQ flat, gain on tube and SS at noon, EQ practically flat (a little bit of boost on the 64 hz, 125hz, 250 hz (just onê, maybe two up)), Low pass Contour at 1 o'clock, High Pass at noon, volume at 10/11 o'clock.

Speaker cable from 8 ohm output to a GK 212 MBE (rated 600 Watts at 8 ohm).

I turned of the tweeter, and the stench went 'away' but still.

Is there anybody who can tell me what the problem might have been/what the problem is? I didn't overpower the cab (head is rated at 250 Watts @ 8 ohm, so that should be allright), speaker cable is a cable that was made by a guitar tech.

This is a picture of the cab I have (from the net):
    [​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Arjank

Arjank

Probably one of the three options below...or a combination of two of or all of 'm :meh:
    1.the insulation of the voice-coil wire has melted
    2. the glue with which the wire is attached to the voice-coil has melted
    3. the voice-coil former is made of capton and has (partially)melted(unlikely)

But it also might be something else....
  3. David Jayne

David Jayne

There's no way to know without taking it apart and examining things.
  4. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Had the same smell happen with my GK MB210 ll and 210MBE ll ext cab,,, it was faulty speaker resistors, GK replaced the resistors and all is fine now.

So it "could be" just your speaker resistors.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers
    Davyo
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

That makes the best sense here. OP stated after turning off the tweeter it stopped the smell and those resistors are used in circuit with the piezo horn.
  7. Arjank

Arjank

Could be, but it sounds strange to me that cement resistors would smell like burned plastic....maybe they touch something else.
  8. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

Well, for what it is worth, I thought it was strange to behave the way it did.
    I got it second hand from another musician who took care of his gear, and used it for a number of years (together with a GK Backline 600); I got it at the end of last year and have used it since with no problem (truth be told: only at very low volumes). The 'odour' thing didn't happen untill now...
    Guess I'll have to take it to a tech... (I don't think I can use GK warranty on this anymore).

Thanks for all the advice
  9. rag

rag

Disclosures:
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger
    It is most likely the horn resistor mounted on the input board. Contact jason@gallien.com. He will arrange a UPS pick up for the input panel/board (if you remove it), we will pay the shipping both ways and repair the resistors on the board. Tell Jason I authorized the repair.
    Regards,
    RAG
  10. Arjank

Arjank

Allways good to have the right folks on TB :)

Btw. I allways let the resistors "float" and I make sure that they can handle some power which means I connect several 20watts resistors in parallel so they won't fry.
  11. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

That is very nice of you, and great customer service... But I live on the other side of the pond, in the old continent. ;) Would it not cost too much to ship it back and forth?
  12. rag

rag

Disclosures:
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger

That is more difficult. We can send parts to a service center for you and then they can fix it for not too much. This is not a complex problem.
    RAG
  13. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    If anybody wondered what the other half of the reason to love GK gear is, you may consider yourself enlightened !
    Great sound + Great service.

:cool:
    derylgallant likes this.
  14. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Yep,,,, GK is the absolute bestest for sound/tone, pricing and customer service.

Ive used their CS a few times for repair stuff and GK has ALWAYS been amazingly great to deal with,,, and fast !!!!

Cheers
    Davyo
    derylgallant likes this.