Step AWAY from the keyboard!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by neurotictim, Jan 7, 2014.

1. neurotictim

neurotictim

And by keyboard, I mean the thing with "QWERTY" along the top line under the numbers, not the one with white and black keys.

:ninja:

Seriously though, I stepped away from Talkbass for a while, and went about my daily life. It wasn't that I was mad about anything, or going through drastic personal changes - I just found myself using the site less and less. Before long I'd actually forgotten about the site - New house, new car, same rig - somehow, I actually found the sound and playability I wanted, and no longer GASsed for stuff I probably couldn't afford anyway.

A month or so ago I stumbled across a clip somewhere with a guy playing a POG through a Turbo Rat, and thought, "my band could really make use of this!" and immediately started on the hunt for a similar sound...

...which led me back here... Just to find a sound. Fast forward another week or two...

My daughter made 1st chair, all-district, in viola. I'm very proud and super-excited about this, because I'd always hoped my kid(s) would get into music at an early age.

Turns out she wants a bass for Christmas! It just keeps getting better! :bass:

Alas, her mom can't afford both a bass and an amp. Once upon a time I had a stable of 15 or 16 basses, but they've been thinned down, and I only have two electric basses - my Warwick Vette $$ 5 and a beater P, plus the Azola Bugbass upright. So what do I do? I ship her my home "player" bass - a Squier P, beaten up and stickers everywhere - which means now I need to hunt for something with which to replace it...

...which led me back here...

So I've got my eye on a few things in the classifieds, but I have a very specific idea of what I want, and I should be able to get what I want for a price I want very soon.

Man, I missed this place and didn't even know it!

Anyway, the point is that I stepped away from Talkbass for a while. Now I go poking through some pretty contentious threads in the OT - threads that once upon a time would have gotten my blood pumping and spitting mad - and I find myself weighing the options, and ultimately NOT responding. When I left - again, no rage-quitting or anything, just kinda stopped - I would have jumped in with gusto!

Somewhere along the way, between leaving and returning, I have learned when it's best just to step away from the keyboard.

I guess I grew up a little bit. Somehow.

Just felt like sharing. Lol.

2. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    That's kinda interesting to me, because, like you, I stepped away from TalkBass for awhile. Nothing negative, no problems, just other commitments and life in general got in the way. Been back for awhile now, and I'm enjoying it as much as ever, just with a little different outlook on what is/isn't important.

3. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I routinely get myself away from here. Lately I've been visiting and commenting daily, but after awhile, I'll "disappear" for a few months again. I find that, in general, if TB ends up taking too much of my time, I "know" and disconnect, pick up my bass and start playing again. I'd much rather play than sit around and talk.

4. shadowtippy

shadowtippy

I wish I could taper off a bit from here, but this is where I get my news...fair, open, and unbiased.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Wow, crazy timing on the thread Tim. I was using one of the pens you made me earlier this morning. It reminded me to send you a PM to check in.

-Mike

7. bassinplace

bassinplace

There are many times a reply pops into my addled little brain that I don't post. For me to post it has to meet at least one of my two criteria. I have to feel it either genuinely adds to the discussion or it has to amuse/entertain me. More often than not, I just bite my tongue and keep reading. I could stand to take a break from this forum. If things would just pick up here at work I'd be thrilled to! Wouldn't that be nice! :meh: I'm not complaining, though. I have a job for which I am grateful.

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Me too. :)

9. mimaz

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Wow, Maki, with almost 26K posts....how long were you gone? Anyway, haven't seen ya for awhile since I've returned....how's it going?

MJ...I see you're still here too....ever get over to the 'Burgh any more?

10. MJ5150

Media:
    Albums:
    I do. We have a trip planned this spring.

I'll never leave TBOT. I don't let this place get me mad or some other emotion to make me leave. I don't play bass or any musical instruments anymore, but I do enjoy the discussions in TBOT.

-Mike

11. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

...and I still proudly wear my TB beanie :)

12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Mimaz, I'm not sure really. It just kind of fell by the wayside as I got busy with life and stuff. Good to see you back, bud. :)

13. MJ5150

Media:
    Albums:
    I got the beanie *and* the military style hat from the original group buy.

-Mike

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

I didn't post or visit TB from sometime in October of 2012 until sometime in October 2013.

15. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Yes...isn't yours in a fabulous shade of pink? :)

16. mimaz

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Hey! I want a beanie!! :hyper:

17. MJ5150

Media:
    Albums:
    It sure is. I "bought it for my wife". I wear it now and then.

-Mike

18. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1389126901.551303.jpg

19. mimaz

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
  20. bassinplace

bassinplace

Heretic! :p:p Just kidding. If you don't mind my asking, why'd you stop playing? Feel free not to answer if you don't want to, of course.

21. MJ5150

Media:
    Albums:
    I played in a band with three of my lifelong buddies. We all got along great, and it was the main reason I started playing. Just to hang out with my buddies more. I never really learned to play bass, just to memorize some sounds and when to play them. We kept playing more and more gigs, but it was too much for us, so we stopped. Without those guys to play with, I lost all interest in music and sold everything.

*Disclaimer* We were not a touring band. We played coffee shops, weddings, corporate gigs, house parties, etc. in and around where we lived. By playing too much, I am talking about being asked to play a gig two or three times per month.

-Mike