1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Step by step - begginers bass learning plan

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Burialist, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Burialist

Burialist

In 3 days i will get my first electric bass guitar.
    Before that i was playing electric guitar pretty good, but i think i made huge mistake.
    When i got my guitar, first thing i have start to learn was reading tabs, and than try to play that tab. Bad start i know. After 1year of playing/learning like that i didnt learn a thing, i couldent eaven play one song. So i was confused what am i doing wrong. I know now... i was missing most important steps, which guide you to become good guitar player/musician. So because of no progress and low motivation, i quited playing guitar, and forgot all my dreams about becoming good guitar player.
    So yeah. Becouse of bad feelings of my failure as guitar player i deleted idea that i will ever play guitar good, from my head.

A year from that, i was watching television and i saw an concert of 1bass player and 1drum player. I just sat there and watch that 1hour concert and was completly amazed by the sound of that bass. That was something really new for me. Before i saw that concert i thought that bass guitar can be "used" only as guide for all band to play along.
    Now i know what awsome instrument bass guitar is. And yeah..band that i am talking about were playing Funk. Now, i know that style/technique that bassist was playing is Slap.
    I like sound of bass much more like sound of guitar now.
    I love it!

Man my post is long :rolleyes:
    Enyway i will start to learn how to play bass now.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    My question is what steps should i follow. What things you
    recommend i learn first ?
    My goal ?
    My main goal is to play bass guitar as better as i can, i would like to play SLAP style (funk), i would like to play songs that i like and much later eaven write/play my own funky bass lines if that will be possible.

Thanks for your help and opinion.
    Sorry for long post :p
  2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Get the book Bass Guitar for Dummies. It will have all the fundamentals like how to hold it, how to tune it, how to get sound from it, etc. Start on page 1 and do not skip pages.
    IMO first learn how to play the bass, then learn how to play slap. Why? You need to learn where the notes are on your bass fretboard - so you can slap them- I know some slap anywhere and go for the beat. I know that is not what you want to be doing. So between Bass Guitar for Dummies and the Internet site www.studybass.com get the fundamentals under your fingers. Check this out. http://scottsbasslessons.com/slap-bass-killer-exercises

Why does most instructions start with running your scales? No matter what instrument you play you need to start with your scales. Why? Gets your fingers knowing where the good notes are on the fretboard. Plus gets our ears recognizing the good notes from the bad notes. Scales first. Both Dummies and StudyBass will have what you need to get started with your scales.

Good luck. It's a journey best taken one step at a time.
  3. ics1974

ics1974

I played guitar first as well but I like bass so much better.
    I agree with Malcolm and also I suggest learning very easy songs but try to understand theory wise how the song works.
    Also try to avoid tabs if you can. Try to work the song out by ear and only consult the tab when you are stuck.
    I am trying to get out of the tab rut myself and it is very hard.
  4. Burialist

Burialist

thanks very much for your advices
    i will get bass guitar for dummies first and read all things until i will understand and play it perfectly
    later i will start progressing in the way i want

i will also keep ics advice in mind, about tab thing
    tnx again
  5. Roadkill

Roadkill Short Scale Addict Supporting Member

If you don't already do so, try using one of the many programs and/or devices that let you slow down the music to half speed to figure out the lines. "Friends don't let friends use tab" LOL. As I implied in another thread I actually write out the note names so I play notes, not frets :cool:.
  6. ics1974

ics1974

Yeah I have "the amazing slow downer" software. It works great!
  7. Roadkill

Roadkill Short Scale Addict Supporting Member

I prefer "Transcribe!" but purchased both. ASD doesn't give you lifetime updates though :( .