Step/Stage/Sample&Hold Effect in compact pedal form?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lebowsky, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident Supporting Member

I did some research but couldn't find much. I'm a looking for a step effect, like the step phase on the Boss PH-3, or the Moog Bass Murf, but in compact form. Well yes, the Boss PH-3 is compact, but unfortunately it loses too much low-end to be usable live, and clean blending kinda loses the point of the effect.. Only other such effects I found are the Zvex Ooh- and Seek-Wah, but from what I read it doesn't handle bass very well either. And the Marshall Regenator doesn't seem to be getting very good reviews.

Am I missing something? Or is there just nothing in that alley floating? I love my bass Murf, but it's just too big to stay on a PT-JR!

2. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc

Subdecay Proteus is exactly what you're looking for. It does the random step/S+H thing, and it has a freq knob to adjust the center frequency that the filter bounces around.

3. Lebowsky

Thanks! I think everytime I read about the Proteus I thought it was a misspelled Prometheus, heh. I listened to a few clips on the tube, sounds maybe a bit too much funky, but I guess there ain't much else around. Although granted, the person was demoing with a funky riff... I think I'll give it a try!

edit: ah well, it's ordered ;)

4. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc

The Proteus is a stripped-down Prometheus, so you were on the right track. As for funky, you were probably listening to the envelope filter mode, which the proteus also has like it's big brother. But the S+H mode is definitely not funky.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lebowsky

Thanks heaps about that. I think I'll be having a lot of fun with it. Are you using one yourself?

7. Lebowsky

What about the Quasar Quantum? I couldn't find anything about it here on TB. Is that also a phaser with a step mode? Is it usable on bass?

8. Skrogh

Skrogh

The Source Audio BEF pro can also do this too, both with phasers and filters.
    With a MIDI interface you can even program the "steps" yourself, or use random steps.

9. Lebowsky

yeah but it ain't exactly "compact" ;)

10. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch

Another slightly less compact option is the eventide Pitchfactor or H9. The harpeggiator and harmodulator can do some of the things that you're interested in. Or maybe an EHX 8 step controlling something like a Line6 m5. You could set a lot of different parameters to sync together.

11. Skrogh

Skrogh

Ah missed that xD

12. Lebowsky

Played the Proteus at rehearsal for the first time tonight. VERY NICE. Almost no low end loss. At least nothing noticeable. Sounds awesome and very organic on a clean as well as a driven sound. Thanks so much bigchiefbc!