1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Stepping off a cliff

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MakiSupaStar, Nov 17, 2012.

1. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

So I dropped cable and went for a roku box and have to say that I'm digging it.

Pros. Watching all the shows I want. Saving 60 bucks a month.

Cons. Hulu plus is disappointing, might need to reassess this piece. You're a year on some premium shows as they become available on Netflix. Or if you absolutely have to have episodes of new shows you have to download them, or set them streaming on your computer (not that huge a setback) through a kind of receiver channel. Quality is HD, sometimes it's not, and if you're having a dodgey internet connection it can be quirky at times.

So far I'm digging it.

Not the kind of thread you thought, eh? :D

2. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

I bought a hulu subscription and canceled it after a month. Hardly anything worth watching.,

3. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69 Banned

Yea all I use Hulu for is the office, which is almost finished.

Netflix however, I been watching how I met your mother for months, from beginning to end.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Still with DirecTV, mostly because of the NFL Sunday Ticket and the college football and basketball packages - all for teams out of my living area.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6man

line6man

Rant for the day:

I'm extremely pissed off with Netflix right now, because in addition to the past two DVDs I've received having been damaged, and one DVD not shipping for a good week after returning the previous DVD, they have removed one of my favorite shows from their streaming library, and will be removing two more on December 1st. That being said, I might have to subscribe to Hulu Plus. I really wish there were more streaming video options out there. And half the time, if there is something I want to see, I'm willing to pay whatever price to stream it, but Amazon's Video on Demand does not have it in their library.

In any case, I got a streaming Bluray player a while back and I absolutely LOVE being able to watch what I want without being at the mercy of TV networks forcefeeding me advertisements and making me follow their programming schedule. It's wonderful! My only real complaint, however, is that some days my device won't connect to the internet, or Netflix or Amazon On Demand will not connect. That does tend to happen frequently, for whatever reason, but it's great when it works.

7. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Hey, I've been without cable since I'm living by my own. Screw it. Student apts don't need cable :p

8. sneha1965

sneha1965 Supporting Member

I don't have much knowledge of the roku box although it sounds tasty. I almost exclusively watch Netflix now aside from the occasional NFL game, local news, Parenthood, or Dancing with the Stars for the wife.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hulu blows unless you love broadcast TV series, in which case there's no helping you. :p Netflix streaming is great if you love trashy old unpopular movies, and Korean dramas, which I do. Amazon streaming is what my wife overpays for when she wants to watch Mad Men. Even with all of the mixed messages there, I totally think the Roku box is one of the best values out there compared to any sort of cable or dish.

10. MakiSupaStar

I might dump Hulu, but we do watch fringe, Grimm and we're still hanging on with revolution. I have found some other stuff on there that I liked. I was watching a show called focused which was about different extreme athletes. I watch mountain biking and surfing. One thing that annoys the crap out out of me with it is the fact that there are still commercials. Oh that and the fact that you can only go back five episodes. I really wanted to roll through some old emergency! adam12 episodes.

11. Sonic_Death

Sonic_Death

It seems to me that most, if not all of the major networks will have free on-demand on their websites, so that would seem to be a good supplemental source if you're streaming service of choice does not carry everything you want.

12. SonicBlueJoe

SonicBlueJoe Supporting Member

This. And if the NFL ever deigns another provider worthy, that dish will be out at the curb the day after.

13. MakiSupaStar

AMC is a problem though. They don't stream their stuff. That's breaking Bad, Mad Men, and Walking Dead. You can find the episodes easy enough though. There are sites out there that offer them or you can grab it from a torrent site. Kind of an extra inconvenience though. But in the long run this has opened me up to exploring different content that I don't often explore. For instance I love the TED channel. I'm on that all the time. Yesterday I started watching Adventure Time with my son (he's stuck in the house sick). With some of my showtime/hbo shows I can opt to wait a year for them to show up on Netflix or DVD, or I can grab them a few days later on a torrent site. So there are ways around the gaps, but I'd gladly pay a nominal fee for something like HULU but better executed.

14. MakiSupaStar

And the NBA. I do legitimately miss yelling at the tv watching lakers games. I guess I'm gonna have to walk to my neighborhood bar for the game.