1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

stereo jazz wiring diagram

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AltGrendel, Dec 19, 2013.

1. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

This is my first attempt at a schematic, so I'm throwing myself to the wolves as it were. I wanted a stereo jazz bass for a long time. I realize that these days there are simpler ways of doing something similar, but I really wanted to do this at the bass itself. Kind of a Ric-O-Sound thing. My only real criteria were that it use standard Jazz routing and control plate, no mods, and that you not have to worry about switches and such. When I found the Switchcraft 13e, I figured that you would be able to set it up so that you plug into one, you get both circuits and it splits them when you plug into both.

A couple of things:
    All pots are stacked 500k pots.
    The caps are .47
    All grounds do tie together.
    As stated before, I'm using Switchcraft 13e jacks.

If I made a mistake on this, please let me know.

Attached Files:

2. line6man

line6man

I can't tell what's going on with the jacks. There are four connections, when there should only be three. In any case, each signal should go to the tip terminal of its own jack, and also to the break terminal of the opposite jack. That's all there is to it.

There is one problem with the wiring. You have the wiper terminals of the volume pots wired as outputs, instead of inputs. While this has its advantages for master volumes, and basses with pickup selector switches, in this application, you will not have independently functioning controls in mono mode. Turning either volume down too far will mute the output.
  3. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

It's a Switchcraft 13e. It's beyond overkill for this type of thing or so I've been told, but it's what I have on hand.

I wired it up before I saw your reply and you are exactly right. I'll make the correction and post it later.
  4. line6man

line6man

Ok, so you have jacks with isolated break terminals. That's not too complicated. All you need to do is solder one terminal of the break circuit to the tip terminal of its jack, and then solder the other terminal of the break circuit to the tip terminal of the other jack. And then do the same for the second jack. It looks like that's what you were trying to do in the diagram, except that you have the break terminals just looped into each other, instead of connecting to the tip terminals to get a signal to carry over from one jack to the other.