1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Stereo power amp + parallel cab question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jmorris, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Jmorris

Jmorris

So I have decided to go a little weird with my rig. Basically I am splitting my signal into 2 paths running 1 through some effects pedals then my laptop (via audio interface) then into 1 side of a stereo power amp. the 2nd channel running through a meatsmoke pre-amp then to the other input of the power amp. From the power amp I want to drive 2 cabs, 1 from each of the 2 outputs with independent signals. Just a little unsure if this set up will halve the Ohms of resistance as with other parallel cab setups. I am assuming not but want to make sure before I fork out the money for a power amp that could potentially be way more powerful than I need.

2. P Town

P Town Guest

There are a number of good reasons why this may not work out. One biggie, would be the delay of the signal running through the computer.

3. Jmorris

Jmorris

Thanks P Town. Tested that, have got it down to minimal latency and usually pitch shifting (via pedal) + effects makes it sound like a whole separate instrument. So to my ears any minor latency just sounds a bit like the regular variance between 2 players (if I notice it at all).

4. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist

A stereo power amp has two separate channels, each with its own power output into a speaker load. So, if you have two 8-ohm cabinets, each channel will see 8 ohms.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jmorris

Jmorris

Cool, that's what I thought. Looks like I wont be able to skimp on the power amp then.