1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Stereo power amp + parallel cab question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jmorris, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Jmorris

Jmorris

So I have decided to go a little weird with my rig. Basically I am splitting my signal into 2 paths running 1 through some effects pedals then my laptop (via audio interface) then into 1 side of a stereo power amp. the 2nd channel running through a meatsmoke pre-amp then to the other input of the power amp. From the power amp I want to drive 2 cabs, 1 from each of the 2 outputs with independent signals. Just a little unsure if this set up will halve the Ohms of resistance as with other parallel cab setups. I am assuming not but want to make sure before I fork out the money for a power amp that could potentially be way more powerful than I need.
  2. P Town

P Town Guest

There are a number of good reasons why this may not work out. One biggie, would be the delay of the signal running through the computer.
  3. Jmorris

Jmorris

Thanks P Town. Tested that, have got it down to minimal latency and usually pitch shifting (via pedal) + effects makes it sound like a whole separate instrument. So to my ears any minor latency just sounds a bit like the regular variance between 2 players (if I notice it at all).
  4. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

A stereo power amp has two separate channels, each with its own power output into a speaker load. So, if you have two 8-ohm cabinets, each channel will see 8 ohms.
  5. Jmorris

Jmorris

Cool, that's what I thought. Looks like I wont be able to skimp on the power amp then.