1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sterile bass? (BB615)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tgolsson, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Tgolsson

Tgolsson

Hello!

I need a bit of advice on a bass I've got, a BB615. It's a 5-stringed, active EQ, PJ bass, but I'm not really happy with it. It plays great, has decent sustain and everything physical is fantastic. However, it has absolutely no character, in comparison to my other basses. My btb406 has a great warm tone, with great jazzy singing as I move towards the bridge. My Washburn t12 has a great upper mid which sounds awesome when distorted. My frankenbass punches through walls without any pedals... And the BB sounds good. That's not bad, but it's nothing that makes me wow either.

So, I've been reading about it and some people claim that it's little brother the passive 415 has more character, and that the preamp is a bit on the cheap side. I've therefore considered ripping out the preamp and making it passive. Is this a good idea?

If it is, what should I put in instead? I'd hate to leave pot holes unused, and it has five of them, 3 for the active part. I would replace the current master volume with a push-pull for series parallel switch on the precision, and switch the blend to stacked volume control for both pickups, one on each rotator. This leaves three holes.

I've considered using two series high/low pass rotary switches into a bass fuzz with a stacked control knob, volume and thickness. While feasible, it's quite a complex circuit, and lots of places for bad interaction to take place, but would allow me to dirty up specific frequencies. However, this leaves no room for a tone knob. Any other ideas for using the last three holes?