1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sterling Ball's BBQ hobby

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by senp5f, Apr 10, 2014.

1. senp5f

senp5f

I love bass. I love BBQ. And yet somehow it is only now that I have realized that Sterling Ball, owner of Music Man, is a competitive BBQ pitmaster and has a side business selling grills and rubs and such.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqadgqT6HSQ

While EBMM instruments don't happen to be my sound, I have owned a couple of them, and they were thoughtfully engineered and very well made. Has any one tried any of the smokers to see if they're similar?

2. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Oh man, I want the drum smoker kit!

lowsound

3. pin_head_47

pin_head_47

As far as I can tell, his stuff is pretty highly regarded. His commercial rubs have been used by teams to win some pretty major competitions, including the American Royal, although much credit goes to the cook using it.

Drum smokers (also known as Ugly Drum Smokers or simply UDS) have been around quite awhile and can be built pretty cheaply if you're handy, but if you want to spend the money, a kit or even complete smoker is alot easier. If you know what you're doing, you can turn out stuff that will rival what comes off of a Big Green Egg, for about a grand less.

I spend alot of time on the BBQ Brethren forums, Sterling Ball and his company are pretty well known and liked over there. If you want to learn more about barbecue, it's my favorite forum by far. Amazingribs.com has alot of great info too, I think they have reviews of some BPS stuff as well as some good recipes.