1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sterling by Music Man SUB Ray4 and Ray5, Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 20, 2013.

1. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

2. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Oh thank god...didn't want to go through a thousand posts...
  3. Dustykatt

Dustykatt

YAY! Anyway, still loving my Sub 4. Now with the release of the black "charcoal" look I was Gasing over another one. THEN the 5 string is announced! Staph it! I just started playing bass in May and now I want ALL THE THINGS!!!!

I need an amp worth a S*it first. My little Rumble 15 practice amp is starting to sound puny.
  4. spaz21387

spaz21387

I still love my mint green ray4. I got it in august. I havent picked up my other basses since I got it.
  5. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    When is a mint green Ray5 coming out? :D
  6. spaz21387

spaz21387

Very good question... I have no idea but Id like to see one too.
  7. JHandley

JHandley

My thought as well!
  8. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

One on the way for me!
  9. NAVET

NAVET

Satin Blue RAY4 on the way for me. Hopefully Friday or Saturday it'll show up on my doorstep.
  10. Trayster2

Trayster2 Supporting Member

I just scored a white one on ebay today with Christmas gift cards. I am SOOOO excited!
  11. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Is the blue one likely to be available in the UK?

Make that in a satin transparent orange and you can just take my money now!

[​IMG]
  12. NAVET

NAVET

Just arrived today. It appears as though I made a great first bass choice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    The 7th one back in that picture has what appears to be a high amount of flame. Looks awesome.
  14. exidor

exidor

+1
  15. HockeyDawg

HockeyDawg

Just picked up a mint green Ray4 and I love it. Beautiful tone even with stock strings. My only complaint so far is that it seems to distort a bit with either of my pedals. I run it through a Digitech bass chorus and a Proco Juggernaut. Once I figure it out, it just may become my main gigging bass.
  16. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

HockeyDawg, lower your pickup height and see if that works. Previous thread had a few people with similar issues and the solution was that.
    I also have a mint green Ray 4- nice bass and color- have my eye on a Ray5 next.
  17. LouieLouie16

LouieLouie16

I'm not a 5 string player BUT I will say the sub ray5 is absolutely a shocker of a bass. Very clear sounding, and great overall feel. I was very surprised at the quality at the price I saw(about 200 and change) and totally considered buying one.
  18. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

How do people find the B string on these? I'm still not convinced I need a fiver, but I sure am tempted

If I decide against it, I'll still probably end up with a 4 string sooner or later. I don't have an MM style or active bass, so it'd be good to get the variety.
  19. LouieLouie16

LouieLouie16

I liked it a lot and I usually hate the way a low b string sounds on any bass(go ahead, get the torches, I know) you really can't go wrong at all for the price, definitely a great first 5er
  20. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

Unfortunately it wouldn't be my first 5; I've ended up selling all I've owned, like you I just can't seem to get to grips with them. It's been a few years since my last one, though, so I'm considering trying again.

I was looking at the black model, and the 4 string version with the separate control plate just looks better than the 5er with the larger pickguard to me.