1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sterling by Music Man SUB Ray4 and Ray5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyanJD, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

Did you guys hear about these basses yet? I didn't see a thread on them.

[​IMG]

There was a review in the last issue of BP Magazine. It got the editor's choice award or something.
    The hook is that these are sub $300 MM basses.
    I think I'm gonna buy one on day one 'cause I've never had a MM style bass before.

I actually e-mailed the guy who's address is shown at the bottom of the ad.
    I asked him when they were coming out, the prices and some other things. This was his reply:

I have a feeling these are gonna give the Squiers a run for their money! ;)

2. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

Also from the guy whose name is on the ad...

3. electracoyote

electracoyote

I've been reading some really good things about the QC on the SUB's. Good review in the most recent Bass Player mag. I'm wondering if they have cut corners on the electronics. I have one of the first run of SUB with two band active, and it is absolutely a killer bass, those must be the same electronics they put in the other USA models. BP said the new electronics are "close" and will "give you the impression" of a 'Ray, whatever that means.

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. quarryman

quarryman

Interested for sure!!! Any suggestions for pickup upgrades?

7. parsons

parsons

There was a thread on here somewhere about the new SUBs. There's also a thread on the Ernie ball website if you guys are interested.

8. afzoomie67

afzoomie67

They out yet?

Nevermind.. I actually read the thread after posting.

9. Tupac

Tupac

September??? They promised March/April at NAM.

10. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

Yeah, what's up with that. I want one of these! ^^

11. Down_Low

Down_Low

12. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

13. Down_Low

Down_Low

I'm still waiting to hear what the nut width on these new SUBS will be too. Hoping for 38mm like the Ray34ca's.

14. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

There's a review of the Ray4-BK on p. 62 of the Bass Player's May issue that just hit the mailbox. The neck looks fast, and no doubt the preamp will cut through the mix. Though I'm not looking for a bass in this price range, it will be interesting read about a shootout with any Fender basses at the same street price from other Talkbass members.

The wood is jabon, and there's practically no information describing it on the web, from my research. The maple neck, and Indonesian build are both positives in my book.

15. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

Oh yeah, as soon as these come out, I'm swapping my back-up Squier for one of these.
    I need a bass with 21 frets again.

16. BillMason

BillMason

Why a shoot out with Fender basses? They're completely different things. I'd much rather read a review or comparison with a real Sting Ray.

17. thobie

thobie

if i could own one of these i could be content never spending more than five hundred on a bass, and ill cover all my "basses"! ahahaha me likes the pun

18. Darnell Jones

Darnell Jones Banned

Quote:
    the body woods and the level of hardware are where we saved. These will be made in the same factory, line as the SBMM premium line. We have a lot of experience "behind the scenes" and really have great relationships with the best parts makers and suppliers.

The body woods and hardware on the premium line have to cost less than $100 wholesale in quantity if not much less. If that is the only savings I wouldn't expect the premium models to be more than $20 or $30 bucks more.

19. ksandvik

ksandvik

Yes, it's really about the operating costs where labor is the biggest chunk. That and also possibly taking down the profit margins a bit to get more market share from Squire.

20. Darnell Jones

Darnell Jones Banned

Labor costs should be identical. I think your guess about profit margins may be more accurate ;)

21. DanHibiki

DanHibiki

I think both comparisons are valid. You want to know if it sounds like a StingRay and at the same time how good its quality is at its price point, which will compete with some Fender offerings (mainly the Squier line, but some Modern Players are close too) even if they are completely different sounding instruments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.