sterling help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4stringSlaughtr, Dec 19, 2013.

1. 4stringSlaughtr

4stringSlaughtr

Looking to identify a model of bass that was stolen from me..I don't doubt that I'll pretty much never get it back , it got snagged from when I was in the military , Anywho it was a red musicman sterling , I dont believe it had the sb14 on the headstock, I think it just said sterling had 4 knobs on it , a 3 way selector switch payed about 800 for it roughly 4 years ago , I believe the shop I had gotten at had said they were pretty new at the time , was just wondering if there's anything anyone could suggest similar to what I'm talking about...or if im even in the right ball park explaining this bass ...idk...it's a bass I miss and would like to have something similar to it again...sorry for all the vague descriptions I had that bass when I hardly even knew how to pluck along on bass , Anywho thanks in advance for any tips or advice :)

2. 4stringSlaughtr

4stringSlaughtr

This color , and a LOT like that but I'm almost positive it said "sterling" only on the headstock along with the mm symbol n stuff, it didn't have that sb14 on it

Attached Files:

3. spufman

spufman

Sounds like a good ol' U.S. EBMM Sterling with what's now called the 'H' pickup configuration. For many years, that's the only way you could get them. I have two and love them. Fortunately for you, they are for some unknown reason not too popular and go very reasonably in the TB Classifieds. You can likely have a nice one delivered in a hard case for $800-$850, sometimes even less. There are no bad years for them, though I have a preference for the '95-'97 range because of somewhat insignificant features in that time.

P.S. the 'Sterling by Musicman' imports are less expensive and I'll confess, they are nice.

4. 4stringSlaughtr

4stringSlaughtr

Okie doke , thanks a lot for the help :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

You do realize that there are two possibilities here. One being that it was a Sterling By Music Man SB14 which is not manufactured by Music Man in the USA. These are manufactured in Indonesia under licence by EBMM.

The second possibility is that the bass was indeed a (EB) Music Man Sterling H which would have been made in the USA.

Good luck with your search.

TD