1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sterling Ray 34ca Mint Green, all maple fretboard at Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eduardosf84, Nov 20, 2012.

1. eduardosf84

eduardosf84

Hi guys,

I am thinking of buying a mint green Ray34ca from Guitar Center. I found the threads on here, regarding this being a one-off for GC from SBMM. All good. Great price. Felt nice.

However, I called Sterling, just to double check all this-- and the response from them was "What are you talking about?", "We have never made that (maple neck) guitar for GC", "Maybe the neck broke and someone replaced it...".

What say you guys?

In the end-- it was the best bass I played in that price range...and frankly-- it was $120 cheaper than its closest competition --another Ray34ca in sunburst.

I just was not able to find any more info than the thread from a year ago--on this site-- about these mint green Ray34ca from Guitar Center...

Just checking to see-- have any of you heard anything else about these, since then?

Thanks for any info,

Eddie:bassist:

2. kjpollo

kjpollo

When the CA Ray 34's were first introduced, I know a few people talked about buying both the mint green and the sunburst and swapping necks because the mint green came with rosewood and the burst came with maple.
    That way, they'd end up with the bass done the way they wanted it and they could sell or trade off the other one.

Since you said this one costs less than the sunburst, I think its a used bass and someone did a neck swap.

If they are selling it as new but at a discount, maybe the swap was done in house.

3. eduardosf84

eduardosf84

I would agree with you kjpollo, but it is odd there have been so many of these exact models, docuemted and reported-- and they show up only at GC--and all the GC staff claim they are new... (they can't all be swapped necks, can they?)

But I don't know the answer either-- stranger things have happened...maybe you are right.

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

In all my years dealing with builders' customer service people, I'm not sure I ever dealt with anyone who actually knew what he was talking about.

I'm pretty sure you just demonstrated an example of this.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. eduardosf84

eduardosf84

Lol... well said.;)

7. Bobster

Bobster

I've also see a mint green Ray34 with maple fretboard at our GC here in S. Austin.

It looked really nice. Where are you located eduardof84, Austin by chance?

Bob

8. infamusblkdeath

infamusblkdeath

yeah that's pretty weird. That same mint/maple rayCA model was at out GC within the past year, had all the stickers that came on the new SBMM's and was in the same price range. I'm almost positive I saw it advertised in one of GC's catalogs a while back too..

9. kjpollo

kjpollo

The really odd thing is that the OP said the mint/maple Ray34 was $120 less than the burst model.
    Thats why I thought it was a used, neck-swapped bass.

But if other people have seen them at GC across the country , then I'm really not sure what the deal might be. I know I havent seen one in any of the 3 GC's that are closest to my house. but then again, I'm not exactly a 'regular' at those stores anyway.

10. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

saw one in the Phoenix GC about 6 months ago. Not a neck swap, I'd bet money on it

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

12. infamusblkdeath

infamusblkdeath

13. eduardosf84

eduardosf84

Bought it and I love it!

Thank for all the help guys,,,

Plinking away unplugged and watching some great football :cool:

My tech is gonna give it a shake-down and I will post some pics and report after that, on Monday...

But to those who search this forum, trying to find answers about this guitar: It is great so far. :bassist:

Further, I did get a response from Brian at SBMM (Pat no longer works there, so I could not speak with him.) According to Brian, only 60 of these Mint/Maple neck Ray 34ca where ever produced.... enjoy :)

Also, BTW -- I like hard shell cases for my guitars... so I grabbed a SKB 44. I can report that this case fits this model quite well and seems (so far) to be equal in quality and fit/finish to the EBMM cases that I have for my other pieces...

Just some FYI for someone reading this with questions...happy hunting. :)

14. wilfred

wilfred

I used to have this same bass, i got it from GC when the first came out it was a nice playing/looking bass. i just didn't like how there was no arm contour and that the pickup was active. i sold the bass not long after i got it. kinda wish i had kept it now that i'm thinking about it lol...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Nice bass! I love that color! :)

16. wilfred

wilfred

Thanks, i sold it though.