Sterling S.U.B SB4 bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThatCoolBassist, Mar 4, 2014.

1. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

This past month has been filled with nothing but the low frequency.. and countless trips to guitar center. The new SUB series that SBMM has released is just amazing. No matter what bass i try, i keep coming back to the SUBS. i think im going to get myself one of the SB4's.. it seems to have a bit more growl to it than the ray4 IMO :bag: the red ones are perty!

if anyone wants to hijack this thread and do a review do so ;)

[​IMG]

2. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

+Bump
    Does anyone have one?

3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I want one of the SB4s. I agree with the Sub series being exceptional values these days. I was originally going to pick up an SB4 (as I already had two Ray4s) but came across a used Ray in the Walnut finish going for $149. Too hard to resist at that price but I do still want a red SB4 as well. The pickup is wired in series as opposed to parallel for the Ray4 so it does sound different enough to be a good purchase. Just going to wait a bit. There's a huge thread here about the Sub Series basses.

Attached Files:

4. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

Interesting info thanks!!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

are these wired passive?

7. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

2 band EQ

I have the walnut one. Looking to get a black and maple one to round off my tone.

8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

No problem. The SB4 has a more defined mid range due to the way it's wired. Hence, a different kind of growl. Excellent sound, sometimes wish I would have bought one instead of that third Ray- I was playing the SB4 a lot at my local GC and it really rocks.
    Thing about these subs are the pickups are hot and whereas I usually have my amp set to 4 or 5 for my other active basses (spector, Ibanez etc), I have to turn down the volume to about 2 1/2 to be on the same volume level.

Here's part 2 of the Sub post. First thread had 51 pages!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/sterling-music-man-sub-ray4-ray5-part-2-a-1039748/

9. Haji

Haji

I've had my SB4 for about a little while now. I never thought I'd own a red bass, all my previous basses have been black. Its one of the most playable basses I've had, and is a world beater at the price they go for. As noted, they're HOT output. I couldn't be happier with it, though, and it scratches my EBMM itch sufficiently well for now. Another plus: its a heck of a lot lighter than a Stingray.

Mine was bought here and shipped from AZ; I live in KY where its humid enough all the time that wood rusts here. I set it up after having it here for a couple weeks and it needed very little adjustment. The climate change caused very, very minor fret spout in the upper register but its not enough to worry about at this point. Overall, I don't think I could be happier.