1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sterling stolen... and then found!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikopita, Dec 13, 2013.

1. mikopita

mikopita Supporting Member

Three weeks ago my house was broken into and they stole several instruments including my '93 MMan Sterling that I've had since new (one of the first ever made). I was devastated but very grateful that I had kept original sales receipts and had well documented my serials. Lo and behold all of my gear was sold to a small mom-and-pops shop local to me and a friend found it there.

Please, everyone take pictures of your instruments (including the serial numbers) and take care in keeping these photos and all other pertinent information safe and handy in case of such a situation. I am a truly lucky one, but it would have been 10x more difficult to get my stuff back if it weren't for thorough documentation.
  2. bass10bfb

bass10bfb Prophet Low End Provider Supporting Member

That is awesome; great idea too about keeping documentation. Congrats on getting it back. Did you have to pay anything to get it back??
  3. bolophonic

bolophonic

Did they catch the criminals?
  4. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Glad you got your gear back...

Did they catch the lowlife thief?

"It'd been worth him doing it just so I could've caught him doing it."
    - Vincent Vega
  5. spaz21387

spaz21387

I hope they caught the guy who did it...
  6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

+1
  7. 2meterbassman

2meterbassman

Very good advice!

If I'm allowed to add something:
    since I bought my first instrument 36 years ago, I place a sticker with my name and my address on a spot a thief usually wouldn't look for.
    For example under a pickguard or in the neck pocket.
    Of course you have to take it off if you sell the instrument.
    But it could it make it easier to prove that you are the true owner if you find a stolen instrument in a shop.
    By the way: did you get the guy that stole your Sterling?
    If so - kick his *** in!
  8. mikopita

mikopita Supporting Member

Yes, I did have to pay to get my stuff back. I'm currently working to recoup my losses although I got back two basses and a TC Electronics Pedalboard for $160. (The MMan was sold for $100!). Going through proper channels by filing suits etc. takes a lot of time and energy and I'm friends with the shop owner, so we're working it out.

The guy in fact was caught while pawning his own mother's laptop and now has charges placed against him for two other break-ins. The Investigator handling the case said that due to his two prior arrests, he's going to prison for 5 years.

2meterbassman... the sticker is an awesome idea.
  9. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Taking bets on how long after he gets out it will take for him to revert to this behavior
  10. MICKUSS

MICKUSS

Awesome that you got it back! I too had a bass stolen and then returned because of having the serial number.
    Two basses stolen in Montreal('08 MIA P and an Ibanez Artcore). I got the P-bass back over a year later because it was sold in a pawn shop for $120(obviously stolen). My serial numbers were filed in the police report.
  11. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

+1-say that all the time-

It would be worth them doing it so I could catch them-

Scumbags thieves-anyone who breaks into where someone sleeps should be hanged-seriously.

Such a personal crime-
  12. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

Congrats on getting your stuff back.

I've been thinking about getting one of the Tile devices (http://www.thetileapp.com/) to stick in my gigbag. Of course, it's useless is someone steals the bass and not the bag, but considering that many things are taken at gigs, and the low price, it might be worthwhile.
  13. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

Yeah nice to hear the guy stole your Stingray and got STUNG ...get it lol...glad you found her.
  14. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos Supporting Member

Awesome you got it back!

You could place it in the control cavity, or possibly underneath a pickguard. The only issue is a limited range (50ft-150ft), unless tiles catch on then, then any tile user within that range would ping it as well.
  15. 2meterbassman

2meterbassman

Good to hear they catched that guy.

Now he has 5 years to maybe learn something.
  16. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

I ran across this site a while back. Reasonable price for a rfid chip kit to. Apparently Carvin is partnered with them as well.

https://www.snagg.com/
  17. Rickenbass

Rickenbass Supporting Member

Unfortunately, once a burglar, always a burglar. The recidivism rate is quite high for burglary. Hopefully the judge throws the book and damn table the book is sitting on at the cretin.
  18. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

19. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

I just saw that they now have a GPS unit. Awesome!
  20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

A music shop owner who buys what is clearly stolen goods at stolen goods prices then sells them back to you doesn't sound like much of a friend to me.

I would think that give me my stuff back now or you deal with the fencing of stolen goods charges would provide some leverage and end a friendship or two.