1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

sterling sub bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theaxel, Jan 1, 2014.

1. theaxel

theaxel

Ive been really interested in these basses for a while. I love the musicman look but want to know how they sound for a 400-600 dollar bass ?
    The fretted bass i currently play is a yamaha rbx 374, do you think it would sound much better especially for funk and slap(currently cant get that real fat chunky slap tone)
  2. Qlanq

Qlanq

The Indonesian one? Nice bass, very light, neck a little bit chunkier than a jazz but a nice feel to it. The pre-amp is quite hot though, I tend to turn down the pre-amp if am using any distortion or use the distortion coming from the bass.
    I can quite a variety of tones depending on settings, plucking hand position (in between the pick up and bridge sounds great to me) and playing style.
    Very pleased with mine and I went in the shop looking for something else.
  3. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Try using search. There are many threads on this.

I just tried a Musicman, SUB, and Ray34. I thought the Ray34 sounded close, but I thought the sub felt cheap and sounded thin. The SUB isn't a BAD bass for the price, it's just not in the same class as the other two. If you want the Musicman sound, I don't think a SUB gets you there.
  4. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

I got a SbMM SUB for Christmas.
    Sensational bass, I'm really blown away with how good it is, tying with and even beating some American equivalents.