1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

sterling sub4 VS musicman SUB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shibaku, Jan 23, 2014.

1. shibaku

shibaku

This one is really shot and simple :)

I'm able to buy a musician sub for 325 euros

A sterling sub4 costs new 339 euros here.

Would be getting the musician sub the best deal? I won't be able to afford more anytime soon since i also need a new amp somewhere along the way.
  2. johnson79

johnson79

If it's a made in USA Sub, that would be my choice easily.
  3. shibaku

shibaku

How would i be able to check that?
  4. awilkie84

awilkie84

Can you try both? If so, disregard the headstock & play them both. Buy the one that fits you best.

I turned down a used MIA P-bass in favor of a new MIM P once. Never regretted it.
  5. dkelley

dkelley

Mia sub have black headstock and black painted neck-back regardless of body color.

Mia sub body finish is textured, not smooth, and is always opaque.

Mia standard pickguard is normally aluminum textured but occasionally black plastic, although often replaced after market.

Although playing is best, mia sub is typically far better.. hence why I own two of them.
  6. shibaku

shibaku

The stores within the area only carry the ray34 but those are around 900 euros. It did play really nice tough :p

the musicman is only available used
  7. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

The USA SUB basses are discontinued and tough to come by. I just sold mine locally for $375 and it was the best 4 string I've played. I plan on getting a 5 string when the time is right. Jump on it and don't look back!
  8. shibaku

shibaku

the one i'm looking at doesn't have a black headstock. It looks like maple.

Would it still be worth it?
  9. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Can you post a picture or two of the bass in question? With all of the different models it's tough to know for sure without one.
  10. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Sounds like it's one of the newer made in China SUBs, and not an MIA Music Man SUB... Here's one of the MIAs:

[​IMG]

- georgestrings
  11. shibaku

shibaku

12. dkelley

dkelley

Ok. That's Chinese. It's probably a pretty good sounding bass, but it's no where near as good as the usa made ones like georgestrings posted.

Might still be good for you, but probably won't have the build quality, parts quality, or setup detail that the usa ones have.

If it's all you can get though, you should try playing it. Some people really like Chinese sub basses.
  13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Actually made in Indonesia. Pretty good for the price, I've tried the MIA Subs and -the quality/construction is a little better- not by much though but it is apparent, sound is pretty comparable. I prefer the neck on the Sterling Subs though.
  14. dkelley

dkelley

Ok Indonesia does make some excellent instruments but they still don't set them up or qa them as well as I'd like, things like neck shims that I often have to add to them for example.

But yea... could be a really nice instrument.
  15. theretheyare

theretheyare Supporting Member

16. dkelley

dkelley

Yea price is the thing... New indo sub is in price range of used usa sub.... and imho usa subs are significantly more than just a little bit better than import subs... I've played 3 samples of each, a couple sbmm rays, and several usa rays and other ebmm basses.

There's a reason I searched out and quickly bought the 2 five string usa subs after doing that.

But since the op doesnt have a usa sub available.... Will still probably be happy with the import sub! :)
  17. shibaku

shibaku

But would it be still worth it to buy the musicman used instead of the sterling sub 4 new? I'm not in a rush btw.

I believe the sterling sub4 is also made in indonesia.
  18. shibaku

shibaku

I'm also a little confused. The musicman in the picture, is it still a Musicman or a Sterling By Musicman?
  19. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

The one in georgestrings post is a US made MM SUB and they are awesome. That said I like the smaller bodied Sterling model (not brand, that gets confusing, thanks for nothing MM). Here are mine, a US made SUB StingRay (white) and an Indonesian Sterling SB-14 (black). I've included a closeup of the headstocks as well. The white one is a better bass, if feels stiffer and weighs a little more, but the black one is smaller and easier on the shoulders. Both are setup with low action in which the white one rattles acoustically less, but they both sound great amplified.

In a nutshell I prefer the Sterling body better than the StingRay, but the US SUB build quality better than the Indonesian. With that said if I had to pick between the same model of both I'd take the US every time.

[​IMG]
  20. dkelley

dkelley

Imho yes worth looking for a usa sub